Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Erev Purim

Tonight we will head to shul for the Purim Schpiel and Megillah Reading.  It's Purim!  A time to give gifts of food and money, dress up in costumes, take a shot and make noise when you hear Haman's name, eat some Hamantaschen, and just have fun!  With any luck, Mark and I are going to do all of that tonight.

Meanwhile, it is Weigh-in Wednesday, so here's the report.  Under any other circumstances, this would be a GREAT report because I've lost FIVE pounds!  How amazing, right?

WRONG.  I'm still four pounds up from Feb. 1 when I took off for the vacation, and this week I lost eleven pounds, gained eight the next day, and then dropped three for this net loss of five in the week.  What a crazy weight rollercoaster ride this week has been!

OK,  I'll try to be happy for the five pounds.

Today we have the AC repairman coming.  He's not scheduled to get here until 3:30 despite my talking to two other people to try to bump us up in the rotation.  We are the last one on his schedule, and he gets off at 4 p.m.   Hopefully, he doesn't fall behind as the day goes on and can fix it in half an hour.  I was pretty outraged about this early this morning.  Sigh.  I'm more calm now, but it is going to hit 90 tomorrow, so if it's not fixed today and we have to reschedule for next Monday, it's going to be a little uncomfortable in here.

Also Mark is going grocery shopping while I prepare Shlaloch Manot bags to give out tonight and iron his NARFE shirt for tomorrow's meeting.  I also have two baskets of clothes to fold, some checks to write, and some deliveries of checks to people's houses to make for various ticketed events. Finally, I need to go pick up my red winter coat from the lady who put in a new zipper for me.  All before 3:30 when the repairman should be here, and we have to leave at 5 p.m. ourselves because the Purim festivities begin at 6 p.m.

Crazy day.

But now for the fun report about last night's dinner at Victoria and Albert's.  It was every bit as elegant, delicious, amusing, and expensive as we had expected.  Mark and I had specially prepared 7 course menus that included no meat or shellfish.  We also each ordered the wine pairing of seven wines, and there was a rose and chocolates presented at the end.  Our bill with tax and tip, $730!

Once we got home, we felt that we had done something very special, but it's definitely a once-in-a-lifetime event.  We cannot imagine doing it again, but we are very glad we did it this once.

In the lobby of the Grand Floridian before it was time to head upstairs.

Add caption

With Al and Barbara at the entrance doorway.

My personally prepared menu, which we got to take home as a souvenir.  We all chose the 7 course dinner.

Course three was Alaskan Halibut on a bed of artichokes with Parmesan foam on top.  This was one of my two favorite dishes.

My second favorite was the leek tart with truffles.  Spectacular.

The harpist added a very elegant touch.  She played Disney songs as well as other classics.

Mark's cheese board with a port wine.

The coffee service seemed like magic.

My creme brûlée

A few alcoholic chocolates to end.

Each lady received a rose and a box of chocolates to take home while the men just received the check.

Amy and Matt were our exceptional wait staff, keeping us fed, informed, and amused for over four hours!

On our way out of this lovely, elegant evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment