Saturday, August 6, 2016

Wonder of Wonders, Miracle of Miracles

Those of you who love musicals like I do will be cursing me later today when you can't stop singing that song.

The wonder is that my weight is down a few tenths to 263.8 this morning even after consuming a boatload of calories for my birthday dinner at the Ohms Cafe in downtown Amarillo.  We shared a spinach and roasted red pepper cheese dip with toast points and a huge pile of purple tortilla chips.  Then I had the grilled salmon with pineapple salsa on a bed of corn risotto, green beans, and asparagus.  It was magnificent!  I washed it down with a huge glass of Riesling and then had coffee and dessert.  The dessert was baked apple slices on a piece of shortbread with a scoop of ice cream.  Also unique and magnificent.  I could barely walk out of there and drive the three miles back to the hotel.  It was a wonderful birthday meal, though.





Today is actually my birthday.  I am 66 today.  I had been thinking that spending my birthday in Amarillo was a big step down from spending my birthday last year at Disney's Aulani Resort in Oahu with the kids and their spouses.  Well, it's not as good, that's for sure, but it's not bad either.  That dinner last night was a good start.

I can only guess that all the walking we did in the canyon and the museum helped me with the calories that I consumed at dinner.

Today we are driving about thirty miles out of Amarillo to the town of Panhandle to go to the County Square House Museum.  It's free, so that makes it a good Shabbat activity.  BTW, that's why we had my birthday dinner last night.  Today is Shabbat and we are going tonight to the big outdoor show in the base of Palo Duro Canyon, which starts at 8:30, before Shabbat is over.  We bought those tickets weeks ago, so no charge for today.  We will be eating Subway lunch AND dinner today with a gift card, so no money is spent for that.  The money was put on the card earlier this week.  See how we play games with these rules?  LOL

Yesterday we visited the Palo Duro Canyon, which is magnificent.  Then we walked for three solid hours in the Panhandle-Plains Museum on the campus of West Texas A&M University.  Every museum we go to is just wonderful.





Inside the Visitor Center, which was built in 1933 by the CCC.  That's a picture of Mackenzie, who dealt the final blow to the Comanches here in the canyon by killing nearly 1400 of their horses and burning all their food and supplies.  Their chief, Quanah Parker, agreed to move his Comanches to the reservation in Oklahoma and fight no more.


We drove down the switchbacks to the base of the canyon to see where we are going tonight.  There are no guard rails on that drive!  It's not bad in the daylight, so I hope it's not bad going back up tonight in the dark.There should be a long line of cars doing it, so I'll just be one of many.

Next stop yesterday after our usual Subway lunch.


The museum is one of the largest we have been in so far.  This is just the first entry room where you get a ticket.

Ride 'em cowboy!

Checking out the Arbuckles coffee and its peppermint stick at the chuckwagon display.  We still buy that online.  It's excellent coffee and still comes with a peppermint stick.

One whole room was set up as a pioneer town.  He found the bar!

Another whole room on old cars.  I always love that.

Burma Shave!  Who remembers that?

We watched a 10 minute video on fracking.  YIKES.  Not sure I really understood it before, but now that I DO understand it, I'm AGIN IT!  Looks downright horrible.

There was a scavenger hunt in this museum.  We had to find 7 stations like this and press a different symbol in to each part of the paper.  Then you could turn it in for a prize at the end.

The prize was we got to pick out any postcard we wanted.  This is the one I took.  Mark got a different one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment