Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I'm on vacation, rest and relaxation..."

Only my kids will get the reference in the title, and they usually don't read the blog. It's a line from a Disney song that we used to play on a cassette tape on the morning we were getting ready for vacations. It used to make it seem happier to get up at some ridiculously early hour.

This morning we got up at 6 a.m. because we did not pack for our cruise last night. Instead, we had a wonderful time visiting with an old friend. Ellen used to live in Greenbelt, so we met years ago when we were both members of Mishkan Torah. When she retired from teaching kindergarten, she bought a beautiful condo in the Buffalo, NY area to be near her family again. We had a chance to visit her there two and a half years ago.

I knew she was coming to Florida, but I had not realized our timing would work out so perfectly. She had just spent a week in Ft. Lauderdale and then took the train to Orlando yesterday afternoon. I got a call from her once she checked into her hotel on the Disney property. I immediately drove over to pick her up and bring her back to our house for a visit. It was just so good to see an old friend and catch up on what she's been doing. She is one of my most loyal blog readers, so there wasn't much I needed to tell her about what WE'VE been doing!! It was a great ending to a great day.

This morning I was down two pounds, 247, so I was pleased. I ate what I was supposed to with one exception. Ellen brought oatmeal raisin cookies. Ooo...those are my favorites, so I ate 3 of them, but I skipped my two yogurts. My calories were 1675 for the day, a bit more than predicted, but it was still enough to drop two pounds. I'll take it. I'm committed to behaving myself again today. Then tomorrow I'll have lunch and all my meals on the ship for the next 19 days. I'm going to try really, really, REALLY hard not to overdo at every meal. Oh, if you have ever been on a cruise, you KNOW how hard it is not to overdo food and drink. Sigh. I love cruising and I love food, a dangerous combination. LOL

After we get packed and put the house in order to leave it again for three weeks, we still hope to have time to go to the movies at the Disney AMC theaters at Pleasure Island. We want to see the new cartoon movie, Gnomeo, It looked stupid in the previews, but the music is by Elton John. There's really no rush to run down to Miami, so we're going to do the movie and a Subway lunch here before heading down south. Tonight we'll be in a Comfort Inn and Suites near the Miami airport. We did that so we didn't have to worry about getting there on time tomorrow. We can relax tomorrow morning and easily get to the dock around 1 p.m. I will blog one more time tomorrow morning from the hotel, and then there will be no more blogs until the evening of March 5 when we get back home. I'm sure that will be a LONG one!!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a 2 lb weight loss. That is a great way to start your vacation. Have a good time packing today and going to the movie and the hotel tonight. I've been wanting to see that movie too, but no one in my family wants to go with me. I will just have to go myself. Have a great day and a great cruise! It will not seem quite right to not be reading your blog, but I will definitely think of you having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    So, if I lived in Iowa, I would have gone to the movie with you. Someday when Mark and I do another big drive around the country vacation, we'll have to stop in Iowa for a visit. Or...you can have a nice warm Florida trip sometime. Have you ever been to Disney World? Now you know someone who lives nearby! LOL
    This morning Mark made low-cal, low-carb bisquits that were amazing. Each little bisquit had only 30 calories. I ate 2 with a dab of Smart Beat margarine on each one, 2 scrambled eggs (in Pam), and an Activia yogurt. Total breakfast calories: 280. It was delicious. I'm off to a good start. Have a great day in Iowa!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    Have a wonderful time on your cruise. I just got caught up on all your posts. I have been kind of out of circulation since my chemo ended. I saw my Radiation Oncologist Friday and I actually start radiation on Feb. 25th. Will go Thursday the 17th for all the preliminaries and back on the 24th for what they called a simulation verification. I love my Radiation Oncologist. He is an older Dr. but oh my is he up on his game with all this. Anyway, I'm like Rhonda, I'll miss your posts and will be praying for you to have a wonderful time, you and Mark. I'm so excited for all your life is becoming now that you are really "home" in FL. Your diet will go great as will your health. Lots of Hugs to you Becky.

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Juanita,
    Thanks. I hope your radiation prelims and sim goes as well as mine did. It was really no problem. If you have been reading the blog, you know all about it already! LOL By the time I start rads on March 7, you'll be able to tell me how it's going. Are you on any pills? I'm still waiting for the side effects of Arimidex to kick in. I'm going to take the third dose tonight, so I guess it's still early.
    One more blog and then I'll be taking that break! Good luck with the radiation and tell me all about it later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky,
    It would be great if you and your husband visited Iowa sometime. It would be fun to see you. I went to Disney World one time 36 years ago for two days. I would love to go again sometime. I told my husband that we should go visit Disney World and he said that that sounded fun. It sounds like you had a great start on your vacation with your breakfast this am. Have a wonderful time while you are gone. I am hoping that you are one of the ones that has no unpleasant side effects from Arimidex.

    ReplyDelete