Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggidy Jig

We had a fabulously easy drive from Savannah, GA to Florida yesterday. The traffic was light, although we saw a lot of RVers. We also noticed that most everyone we saw at restaurants, gas stations, or rest stops was a senior citizen. Ha Ha! I'm a senior citizen, too. In fact, Mark read an article in the paper that called these folks "Silver Surfers," seniors who are traveling around. I love that phrase, and I'm referring to us that way all the time now. Mark and I ARE Silver Surfers.

It was exciting to stop at the Florida Welcome Center just over the border from Georgia. We always stop there for a bathroom break and some free OJ. It really felt differently yesterday though. Every other time that we came down here, we knew we were going to turn around and drive back up north within a week or two. Not this time! We are here until May, except for the three weeks when we are on the cruise. Oh, Gee...that's a hardship! LOL!!

As we were turning off I-95 and on to I-4, I got a wonderful feeling. That's the last stretch heading into Orlando, and we always see billboards for Disney and Universal. We feel happy on that stretch of highway. Yesterday was no exception. It gave us the idea to stop at Downtown Disney Marketplace for lunch at the Earl of Sandwich. We had vegetable soup and tuna melts. So delicious. Also it was fun to get out of the car and take our jackets off. It was nearly 80 degrees! We slowly strolled from the parking lot to the restaurant, looking at people in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops. I realized then that I had not just driven from the north to south; I had driven from winter to summer!

After lunch, we drove the last 45 minutes, 24.5 miles, from Disney Marketplace to our driveway. It was overwhelming. When I went in the house, I broke into tears. I walked all around the house, touching my furniture and things. I don't have great furniture or valuable things, and yes, there are plenty of unpacked boxes cluttering the floors, but it all looked beautiful to me. I couldn't stop crying for joy. In August, I was depressed leaving here. It didn't seem like I would ever get back here, and I was sad thinking about all the horrors of surgery and chemo that I had ahead of me. Now look at me! It's all behind me, and I'm HOME. Dorothy was right! There's no place like home.

This morning Mark has to go out to shop since we have virtually no food in the house. Then at noon we are heading up to the Osceola Cancer Center where I will meet my new radiation oncologist. I hope this all goes well. It's been nice not thinking about cancer for a week, but now I have to go back to reality. At least this reality is in a warm place. Ha Ha!! I'll let you know tomorrow what I thought of the new doctor.

To everyone who reads this from the north, I hope you stay safe and warm as the big monster storm passes through your neighborhoods. Let me know how it goes for you.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are home finally. You did so good getting through surgery and chemo. I definitely think that radiation will go easier than chemo and especially in a warm climate like you are in. I hope that you like the new doctor. Generally all the radiation oncologists that I have met are very nice. I think that they are much nicer in my opinion than the oncologists that I have met.(Even though my oncologist now is pretty nice)

    We didn't get hit as hard as we were supposed to for the big storm, but it is still pretty snowy and cold out. I didn't go to chemo today because my husband was afraid that my car would get stuck as I was driving. I know that it won't hurt me to have a week off as I have not missed a scheduled week in a year.

    I can't wait to hear how your new home and neighborhood is going. Florida weather in the 80 degree range sounds so wonderful today as I look outside at the snow and cold.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't be happier for you. Know how much it means to be home. Keep up the blogging, it makes me feel like you're not as far away. The weather (thankfully) turned out to be a non-event. I'm not a fan of streets being turned into ice rinks. Makes walking the dog an incredible adventure. Have to run--choir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you - no more chemo, more hair, warmer weather, and in your own home. We got only rain from this storm, but I talked to my sister in Massachusetts, and they got a lot of snow again. They like snow though. I enjoyed going out and doing errands in warmer weather. I enjoyed the wedding pictures of Ron and Barb and their family. I hope you like your new doctor. Best wishes as you embark on the next part of your journey. Love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete