Friday, February 4, 2011

So much to write about!






Everything about our day in China yesterday was spectacular! We enjoyed a leisurely afternoon and did absolutely everything there was to do in the China pavilion at Epcot. We also had time to go to the Mexican pavilion and even ride Spaceship Earth on the way out. We went straight to dinner from there and then on to the free movie. Inception was fast paced and interesting, but it was a bit hard to follow. It is not a movie that you can watch and think about something else at the same time!

We were not able to go to Bartow for the tax exemption yesterday though. It took so long to get all the paperwork together, including calling the voter registration place and the tax place to get information, that we ran out of time to go there before Epcot. No worries. We did it all today.

This morning we went back to the Cancer Center to meet the medical oncologist. She is an extremely petite Indian lady named Dr. Vijay, short for a much longer name. Like Dr. Halili on Wednesday, she had thoroughly studied my information from the St. Agnes center. She was quite familiar with everything I had already done. This impressed both me and Mark.

She took blood and ordered a bone density scan (next Tuesday) and PET scan (Monday). The PET scan will identify any stray cancer, hopefully. The bone scan is a baseline for when I start the pills, which will be Arimidex unless the bone scan is poor. I will be on them for five years, beginning after the radiation ends. She examined me thoroughly and we talked for quite a long while. Just like in the radiation department, everyone on the chemo side was very friendly and helpful. I feel like I'm in good hands down here.

It was a 90 minute drive to Bartow from the cancer center, but it was an interesting drive. We had no trouble at either the voter place or the tax place. The people here always seem super friendly and helpful. There were no lines in either place. We drove 60 minutes back home at "rush hour," and there was no significant traffic. Gotta love that! There were, however, beautiful orange groves all along the way with the trees full of ripe oranges. Many oranges were laying on the ground around the trees. I SO wanted to stop and pick up a few, but we guessed that was not really legal. I hope all those fallen oranges don't go to waste. That would be sad.

We were home only about half an hour when we got a knock on the door. It was another neighbor introducing herself and handing me a big ziplok bag of homemade oatmeal raisin cookies. OH, my, they lasted about 30 minutes or less after she left. She lives two doors down on the right, AND she hosts low-key, non-betting, non-eating Mah Jongg in her house EVERY Monday at 1 p.m. Oh, I am in HEAVEN!! I told Mark not to schedule anything else for Monday afternoons! She said they always have between 3 and 12 people drop in. They are a congenial group that decided to have only bottled water because they were all eating too much when they brought food. So perfect for me! Did I pick the right street or what????

I am now on the lanai typing this blog, and Mark is in the kitchen making grilled tuna steaks for Shabbat dinner. He brought me a shot of whiskey for happy hour. The weather is still warm. We are truly living in paradise!

3 comments:

  1. Everything sounds great! I am so glad that you like your medical oncologist too. I love your pictures. Have a great night! It sure sounds like you are getting stronger. I am happy that you are still feeling well. Before you know it it will be time for your cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving near you in 2 years!!
    How far to the ocean??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin,
    We are about 1 hour from Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic, about 2 and a half hours to the Gulf in the Tampa area. I didn't know you were planning to move in this direction! Come on down!! Our community does all your yard work for you.

    ReplyDelete