Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Crazy Lens Crafters and Cancelled Plans

Well, our visit to Lens Crafters did not go as expected.  We arrived at 10:30 for my 10:40 appointment.  I got called back at 12:10.  Mark cancelled his appointment entirely and rescheduled for the last week of February.  Here's why.

We switched to Mark's Federal vision plan as of January 1, and we did that specifically because it was announced that Lens Crafters was in the plan. I had gone to the eye doctor at the Lens Crafters at The Loop twice before in 2010 and again in 2011, and I liked him very much.  Unfortunately, without any insurance, other than the 30% off for a AAA discount, I walked out paying over $500 for the exam and glasses in 2011.  Then I bought a vision plan through my work that worked at WalMart. When I went to WalMart in December of 2013 with my previous vision insurance, I liked the doctor okay but always hated the prescription I got.  I paid about $150, but I could only get another pair every other year.

Mark's new plan will work at Lens Crafters AND allow us to do it every year.  Off we went yesterday, all excited for the new insurance.  Well, it was so new that the first two people who tried to help us didn't know the insurance worked.  Their computers didn't show it.  They asked if we wanted to use our AARP or AAA cards for a discount.  NO, we did NOT.  Finally, a third lady came along who was sure she that the insurance would work but not on those computers.  She sat at her iPad for quite awhile and finally got an authorization number for our glasses.  Unfortunately, the doctor had not signed up for it, so I had to use my AARP card to get $20 off the price of the exam, paying $45.  That's why Mark cancelled his appointment.  He didn't want to pay that, so he scheduled for the end of February when they think it will all be straightened out and the doctor should be in the plan.

So....that took over an hour!  I finally went back at 12:10.  Then the fun began.  Our insurance did not cover everything I wanted for my glasses.  And then I had two choices: take what I wanted (which was $105 less) but wait two weeks, or upgrade a bit and get them in an hour.  I paid more to get them yesterday because I wanted them for the cruise this weekend.  I thought it was weird that there were no other choices except one hour or two weeks.  I would have come back any day this week for them, but no.  If they were sent out, it's two weeks before they come back. If they make them in house, it's an hour. 

I paid the extra to get something upgraded, ate lunch at Panera next door, and got my new glasses in an hour.  I love them. It's shocking how much better I can see.  it was a big change from what I had, but the doctor said it was closer to the prescription I gave up, the one THIS doctor had given me in 2011.  Something was definitely wrong with the ones from WalMart.  He was able to show me how it looked with my new ones vs. my old ones, and it was shocking!  I definitely needed a new prescription.

I also like the shape of the new frames.  All in all, it took from 10:30 to 3:10 to get that done, but I guess it was worth it. It also cost a total of $364, including the exam.  That still seems like a lot, but they assured me that the insurance was paying far more than that, about $450 for the vision plan portion.  Glasses just cost so much these days if you want no-line bifocals, scratch resistance, anti-glare, and transitions (darken in the sun).  Yes, I want all of that, thank you.

We made it just in time for the lecture on Jane Eyre, which we both enjoyed thoroughly.  Then I went home and crashed.  That was all too much for me. I never felt well the whole day.  I felt completely stuffed up and foggy in the head the entire day.  As the day wore on, I got a bad sinus headache from pressure.  That caused me to contact Susie and Ed and cancel our plans for today to go to Blue Spring State Park to see the manatees and take a boat ride. It's freezing outside today, so that boat ride wouldn't have felt too comfortable anyway.  We have rescheduled our outing for March 9, and I hope it's warmer then.

New glasses, square shape.  The old ones were more rounded. Otherwise not much difference except that I can see far away in these!  That's the most important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment