Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Whole Week!

It's been a whole week since I posted last, so this morning I re-read last week's entry. It was on Tuesday, but for some reason I did not post my weigh-in weight. Last week I was an even 212. Sadly, this morning I am 213.4.

Last week's post was very upbeat, all about eating right and exercising, taking control, doing the right things. Hm. The very next day I started to slip out of control and stayed there the rest of the week. Considering all that I ate this week, a modest gain of 1.4 pounds isn't really too bad. I know that's rationalizing, but...

So what did I do? I went to Boston and watched my fabulous daughter graduate from Northeastern University wth a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training, summa cum laude. It really doesn't get better than that! In addition to attending the huge NU graduation (which also included her fabulous fiance Eric, Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude), we also attended the smaller, more personal graduation ceremony of the Athletic Trainers, all 12 of them. Their three professors were there giving nice speeches, a great video of their five years was shown, presentations were made, cake was eaten. It was a lovely event.

At the end of the two ceremonies, we met up with Eric and his family at an amazing restaurant called Abe and Louie's. It was expensive but extremely delicious. It was also fun meeting Eric's extended family. Fourteen of us were in this great, AAA recommended restaurant. We toasted the happy couple on their engagement and graduations; we all gave them presents. It was a beautiful day.

Saturday morning all the seniors had to be out of the dorm by 11 a.m. Evey said it would be chaos, and she was right. Fortunately she also said come Thursday afternoon for most of the stuff, and we did. That was a brilliant idea on her part. Saturday we only had one small load to put in the car. It was a very stormy day with high winds, heavy downpours, cold temperatures. Not conducive to lots of loading of cars. Everyone did what they had to do, and the dorm got emptied.

The Gaertners just took off that day to go home to NJ, but we stayed another night in Boston because that night we had tickets to the very special NU Night at the Boston Pops. What a great tradition. It was great to go inside the Symphony Hall that we had walked and driven past for the last five years. The concert featured tributes to Arthur Fiedler and John Williams, the NU Gospel Choir, and a group with a strange name that I can't remember right now. Sorry. It was a memorable night.

Sunday we drove to Eric's house for a lovely dinner at his house. Although Evey had been there many times, we had not. It was nice because now that they are engaged, we are really starting to feel like in-laws! I like it. Eric got to show us his capstone project clock that is causing lots of stir all over the internet. He also showed us his official offer from Apple Computers for his new job, Hardware Design Engineer, at the amazing salary of 87k. His parents are, justifiably so, very proud of him! He and Evey will be moving out to the Cupertino/San Francisco area of northern California sometime around June 10 or so since his start date is Monday, June 14.

Evey is now home with us for about three or four weeks before we move her stuff to Eric's house on June 4. She will stay there with them until they fly across country. That way the moving van or POD or whatever they use can get all of their stuff in one location and they can fly out together.

This is an exciting time for them and for us. Many changes are coming in their lives, all good ones really, but many changes can also bring on a lot of stress. Their changes are also some of my changes, so I'm feeling a lot of stress, too. I'm happy, but we are still waiting for a buyer. The third potential Open House in a row has been canceled by our real estate agent. This time she said it's not necessary to do one at all. So one must question WHY she kept saying she was going to do it each of those past Sundays. Sigh. Anyway, I'm feeling quite out of control with my eating right now.

Once again, all I can say is I'll try to be back on track today. I promise that tomorrow I'll let you know if I was successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment