Thursday, March 12, 2015

Heading North

Today is Mark's birthday. Happy 64th  Birthday to you, my love!

For his birthday I bought us tickets on the autotrain instead of driving 9 or 10 hours to Florence, SC.  Instead, we can have more leisurely morning before heading to Sanford and the train.

Unfortunately, we got a call from Amtrak last night saying that they will not be providing dinner this time.  HUH???? They charge a fortune for two tickets to sit in coach, hundreds of dollars, and you are supposed to get a nice sit down dinner and a breakfast the next morning.  They used to give you free wine with dinner and cookies at night with a movie.  They took all of that away last year, but at least we still got dinner.  This time the train is arriving so late today that in order for us to head out on time at 4:30, they won't bother restocking the train with food.  SUCKS!  I am hoping they will refund or at least give us a credit for a portion of the fare.  I was told to call tomorrow after we get off the train and see if we can get some money back.

So now we have to stop at Publix on the way up and figure out what we can pack to eat on the train for dinner.  Ridiculous.

Still, it's more relaxing than driving.

On Monday we had a really great day at Crystal River State Park and Homossassa Springs State Park with Susie and Ed.  Tuesday we spent the day at the Cove and hung out with Jonathan and Susan as well as Dick and Peggy, visiting down from NY.  It was a nearly perfect day.  Yesterday we went to the dress rehearsal of the Solivita Theater Group's spring production of Neil Simon's Rumors.  Very funny and an especially beautiful set!

My weight Monday was the same as today, 277.8.  I wrote that down in my book for this big month long trip.  I'm taking my computer and there will be wifi everywhere we go, so I'll be writing blogs for sure.  I'm also packing my scale!

So it's time to load up the car and head out.  Here are some pictures from Monday before I go.

Lunch at Charley's Fish House first.  Great views and atmosphere as well as great food.

Our boat for our 90 minute Eco-tour.

Susie and I are waiting to board.

Mark, Ed, and Susie on board.

They told us this nuclear power plant wasn't running anymore, but there was still lots of smoke coming out.

Beautiful views along the Crystal River and even looking out at the Gulf of Mexico.

Then off to Homossassa Springs State Park.


Yuma, a Florida panther.





No comments:

Post a Comment