Sunday, October 2, 2016

Rosh Hashanah begins tonight. Happy New Year!

To all my Jewish friends and relatives who may read this blog, Shana Tovah, have a wonderfully happy and sweet New Year.

Mark and I were talking this morning about the holiday.  It seems surreal to us that it's here.  This has been a very busy and a very good year.  We hope and pray that the upcoming year will be just as good.

Every Shabbat and holiday, there is the silent Amidah prayer, a time to put in our own personal prayers during the service when so much of it is proscribed and read off the page the same exact way time after time.  During my silent prayers, I always thank God for the same things: my Judaism, my husband, my children, my children's spouses, all of my many wonderful family members and friends all around this great country, and the health and prosperity that allows Mark and me to enjoy our retirement years.  I have no doubt that I will be continuing this prayer for the next two days at Rosh Hashanah services and throughout the year.

From now through Yom Kippur it is also the time to ask for forgiveness from anyone and everyone we might have wronged this year.  This is part of doing teshuvah, repentance.  I never really know who might be reading this blog, but if you are out there and reading, and I have written anything here or said anything to you in person that you found offensive, please accept my most heartfelt apology.  It is never my intention to deliberately offend or insult anyone.  I am sorry and apologize and pray that I will do better in this upcoming year.

Last year's Rosh Hashanah dinner table.  We had another couple here to celebrate with us.  Apples and honey and a round challah are on the table.  It will look the same tonight only with just two place settings.




No comments:

Post a Comment