Friday, July 15, 2011

They're Here.




We picked Lowell and Emily up at the airport last night right on time and headed to Raglan Road for dinner. We arrived about 45 minutes early, so there was time to stroll around Downtown Disney for a bit, then have a drink at the bar while we waited for our reservation. Dinner was spectacular. Thanks, Lowell and Emily, for treating us to dinner!

This morning they took off for a day by themselves at Universal Studios. I hope they have a fabulous time. While they are gone, we might try to go to the new Harry Potter movie. If we can't get in, we will go to the new Winnie-the-Pooh movie instead.

We are watering our new sod this morning! It is very strange because there are water restrictions here right now, so officially, other than the automatic sprinklers twice a week with reclaimed water, we are only allowed to water on Fridays. So it's Friday, and we have sprinkled for two and a half hours this morning, giving it a great soaking. We bought the new sprinkler at Wal-Mart yesterday just for this. What is strange is that when they put down the new sod, they told us to water it everyday so it didn't die. Well, I don't think we can do that, so hopefully some rain will happen and take care of it. There is a 50% chance of afternoon storms every day, but they are so regional that it doesn't always happen over our house. Hopefully the sod will live.

My mammogram yesterday was amazingly comfortable. The technician took a lot of care to position me appropriately, and I don't think she squashed with as much pressure as they used to do in Maryland. I was very pleased. I also had an ultrasound. Hopefully these will be normal looking. Of course last year my mammogram was normal, too, and we see what that got me.

Then I had my LAST lymphedema therapy appointment. I felt a little like I was getting out of school. Nice. I am wrapped up professionally for the next few days. I hope that my own maintenance procedures work. I did the manual drainage seven times yesterday, but so far I only did it once today. Better do it again when I finish this blog.

The only other thing I'd like to say today has to do with what women are told by their doctors when they are trying to make decisions about treatment for breast cancer. I just read a thread about this on my online cancer support group. I was given mastectomy, even double mastectomy, as an option as well as lumpectomy and radiation, which is what I chose. I chose this because it seemed like less trauma to the body, less surgeries and pain afterwards because there would be no reconstructive plastic surgery, and less risk of developing lymphedema. I was told that the chances of long term survival were identical with either procedure, but that lumpectomy/radiation was less traumatic to the body with an easier recovery. I was told I was an excellent candidate for lumpectomy and radiation, so I chose that.

Well, I have lymphedema anyway, so that didn't work. And on the day that I met with the radiation oncologist, I was finally told of the risk of radiation, that in 10-15 years I might develop bone or lung cancer from the radiation. At that point, it's too late to change your mind. The thread on the cancer group is that it is very common for doctors NOT to counsel patients on the risks of radiation back in the early decision-making stage. We are routinely not told about that risk of additional cancer until after the lumpectomy is over. In fact, the chemo was over also by then. I wonder if I would have made a different decision if I'd thought about that. I think that if I'm 70 to 75, relatively healthy, enjoying life and maybe grandchildren, and THEN develop lung or bone cancer from this decision, then I will be VERY ANGRY!! Wouldn't you be?

2 comments:

  1. You are so right that doctors don't counsel on the long term risks of radiation. I love your attitude of generally enjoying life all the time. I am hoping that you got your complications over with early and that you will be one of those who doesn't get bone or lung cancer from the radiation. I never heard what percentage of people do get cancer from radiation cause my initial bc was stage 3 so radiation was a necessity.

    Have a great time with your son. I think we will go watch the Harry Potter movie this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rhonda. As always you are the voice of reason. We loved the Harry Potter movie. Definitely worth going to see. Let me know what you think. We had a nice day today and a lot of rain, so my new sod should be happy!

    ReplyDelete