Thursday, July 1, 2010

Salt Lake City

We made it to Salt Lake City tonight. It's a spectacular drive all the way across Wyoming and into Utah. It follows the Union Pacific railroad, part of the Mormon Trail, the Cherokee Trail, and the Oregon Trail. Very historic.

This morning in Cheyenne we spent a few hours in the Old West Museum before leaving. It really made us want to come back next summer for the Cheyenne Frontier Days. They have rodeo for nine nights in a row and concerts with big name stars every night, too.

In Cheyenne, we stayed at the Oak Tree Inn, which had Penny's Diner next door. The check-in was actually in the diner. Our complimentary breakfast meant that we got a coupon for up to $7.75 each at the diner for breakfast or any other meal or snack that we chose. We went over this morning and had an excellent diner breakfast. I had two eggs over easy, hashed browns, and whole wheat toast with black coffee. Oh boy, it was yummy. I had not eaten a "dippy" egg in years. It brought back childhood memories, and I had forgotten how delicious it was. Definitely not the lowest calorie meal I've had lately, but it was great.

We had Subway for lunch yesterday and today, but because we spent so much time touring, we took it out and ate on the road. So...that means no salad for me. It's hard to eat salad and drive! I had a six inch double meat turkey sub and a bag of baked Lays (Parmesan Herb is an amazing flavor!) with a diet Coke. Very delicious, easy to eat and drive at the same time, but more like 500 calories instead of the 190 in the salad. My usual Denny's dinner tonight makes today's total calories around 1800 at my best guess. I did do a lot of walking in the morning at the museum and at several rest stops along the way.

Meanwhile I now have my appointment with the surgeon scheduled for Monday, June 19 at 1 p.m. That's the good news. The bads news, or possibly also good news, is that it is with the same surgeon who scared me and yelled at me about the hernia surgery. He also fixed the hernia and got me to lose 100 pounds. It's really good because thinking about having to face him in two weeks is keeping me more on track. I don't dare go in there weighing more than I did in November. He'll YELL at me!!

Tomorrow we are driving about 565 miles to Reno, Nevada. On the map it looks like a lot of nothing, desert, and more nothing. I'll let you know tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment