Friday, January 4, 2013

Good days feel good, don't they?

I had an especially good day yesterday.  Honestly, nothing special happened, but it was a good day nevertheless.  It was the kind of day when everything I wanted to do got done; I felt in control with my eating; I had nice conversations with friends; and I never felt rushed.  What more does anyone need to count as a good day.

I woke up at 6:30 a.m., showered, dressed, and started writing yesterday's blog by 8 a.m. I had my correct breakfast of 4 Morningstar sausage links and a sugar-free, low-fat yogurt, total calories 220.  At 8:30 our handyman came to clean out the dryer vent and fix a part of the soffit in the back, total price $50.

For the next two hours, I relaxed, noodling around on the computer and working on my new jigsaw puzzle until it was time to go to our NARFE meeting in Plant City, arriving at noon.  We sat with another couple that we have met several times before and hung out with.  She is a triple negative breast cancer survivor who has recently finished her surgery, chemo, and radiation (I call that the trifecta!).  We talked a lot over lunch about BC, as survivors do when they get together.

I ate the baked tilapia, steamed vegetables, and salad for lunch with black coffee. I was proud of myself for saying no to the bread.  The meeting was on balance issues for seniors, and the two Physical Therapists who gave the talk and demonstration were just adorable.  So young!  They reminded me of Evey.  In fact, I bet Evey could have given that talk! 

We had an easy drive home, and then Mark went to the grocery store.  I spent TWO HOURS on the lanai working on my mystery jigsaw puzzle (thanks Emily and Lowell!).  Wow!  That sucker is harder than I thought, but I love it.  I also ate an apple when I got hungry and not something worse.

Mark came home around 5 p.m., and we watched a lot of TV the rest of the night. He made that delicious cauliflower with pasta sauce dinner, AND he brought home a 70% cacao dark chocolate bar...for health reasons, of course.  I ate only two squares, which he doled out to me, and it was fabulous, total calories 125.  I also had my usual banana (potassium to prevent leg cramps) and a cup of blueberries.  At 10:30 I went to bed, read my Kindle for awhile, and was asleep by 11:15.

The only thing I did not do was take a walk, but it didn't matter.  I dropped three pounds since Wednesday, and I'm happy about that.  I was in control yesterday, which I have not been in a long time.

In a little over a week, we will be boarding the Disney Dream for Mark's dream cruise!  It will be fantastic if I stay in control until we leave, and even more fantastic if I stay in control while I'm on the cruise. 

A few days ago, I was looking through some of my old pictures and found one that I had forgotten. I love this picture. Mark and I were driving Evey's car across country to her in July of 2010.  This is in front of a museum in Omaha, Nebraska. I didn't know I had breast cancer, only that I had a lump that needed to be removed and was probably benign.  We had a contract on our Florida house, and our Maryland house was listed but not yet sold.  Life was changing rapidly, but I was happy and confident about the future. I think this picture is motivating to me to try to get back to that weight.  I probably weighed about 215 that day.  Compare that to the next picture of me from the Magic Kingdom on Tuesday, weighing in at 266.  I just have to get back to that happier place and weight.

2 comments:

  1. Becky,
    I haven't chatted with you for awhile. I am continuing to read your blogs and love them. Congrats on the weight loss. I am happy you get to go on a Disney cruise with Mark. I will look forward to hearing about it. Don't give up on your challenges with weight. I know that you can do it. You have a good start going. I have gained a few pounds over Christmas and the last few sentences are my message to myself also. Have a great day! I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again, Rhonda. Happy New Year! We will both do our best and encourage each other.

    ReplyDelete