Friday, August 28, 2015

Hurricane or not hurricane

Erika is out there somewhere trying decide if she will become a hurricane and hit Florida or not.  No one can predict yet.  She's a somewhat disorganized tropical storm that may or may not get bigger.  She's going to dump a lot of rain on drought-stricken Puerto Rico, so if the flooding doesn't get them, it could be a good thing.  She's going to hit a bunch of high mountains in the Dominican Republic, which could cause her to disintegrate, or she might make it over those mountains and pick up steam as she rolls up the center of Florida.  Who knows? 

So, just in case she does become our first hurricane to hit since we moved here, we are checking our preparedness.  Both cars will have full tanks of gas, good for recharging cell phones if the power goes out.  We will take stock of our water, food, batteries, candles, and other supplies they say we should have.  We might even attempt to put up one of the hurricane shutters just to see how they work.

Even if Ericka does hit us as a hurricane, no one is predicting it to be bigger than a category I, so we could lose power for awhile afterwards, but I don't think our house and property will suffer too much damage.  Hope I'm right.

I'm also hoping it's over by Tuesday morning.  They are unsure of the exact timing, too, but it looks like it could be racing up Florida's middle from Sunday night to Tuesday morning, probably in our area Monday night.  My GYN appointment is Tuesday at 3 p.m., so I hope it's over, the roads are clear, and the power is on.  I want that appointment.  Nothing has changed.  I still have very uncomfortable feelings in the lower abdomen that only get worse when the bladder or bowels are full or when I walk or get jostled in a car, leading me to believe that there's something going on in the uterus/ovaries area.  Don't like it one little bit, and won't feel settled until I get it evaluated.

As predicted, I am up two pounds today.  Back to my 273.6  I seem to love hovering at that weight.  The Thai food was good.  I thought the portions were not outsized and the sodium did not seem overwhelming.  Still, there's no real good way of knowing.  The old town of Winter Garden was adorable, far more picturesque than we had known it would be.  There were two little museums there that we'd love to go back and explore.  The old theater was fun to see and the movie was very interesting.  It was the last one shown this season as part of the Florida Film Festival.  All in all, we had a lovely evening, and it didn't even rain at all.

This morning at 8 a.m. I had my annual mammogram.  It went well.  The radiologist looked at the films and said they looked good enough that I could skip the ultrasounds.  That's great news. 

This afternoon Mark will be fitted for his heart monitor that he will wear for three weeks.  That should be interesting.  On the way back from that, we will pick up any last minute hurricane supplies that we think we might need.  Then, except for that doctor's appointment on Tuesday, there is nothing between tonight and Tuesday afternoon that can't be skipped or cancelled due to the storm.

One last thing, I am having a conversation this afternoon at 12:30 with Rabbi Skolnik to discuss the potential dissolution of the SOJC Choir.  Not many people are left in it, and very few come to rehearsals.  I can't really call them a choir anymore, in my opinion, and I'm not sure I want to drive all that way in the dark to rehearse two people who really need more singers around them to be successful.  Should be an interesting conversation.  One I'm not really looking forward to having.

No comments:

Post a Comment