Saturday, January 30, 2016

TURANDOT....magnificent

I just love opera!  Back in the mid-'80s to early '90s, Baltimore County music teachers used to get complimentary tickets to all of the operas at the Lyric Theater.  Then the NEA grants got cut, so the teachers didn't get tickets anymore.  Then the Baltimore Opera company folded.  We also used to go to operas by the Annapolis Opera company, but little by little we just stopped going.  We had not been to a live performance for a long time.  Now that we've discovered the Live from the Met in HD at the movie theaters, we are in heaven.

Today's production was Puccini's Turandot.  I confess I didn't know anything about it, but it was spectacular.  Neither Mark nor I nodded off at all today, unlike two weeks ago for the Pearl Fishers.  The costumes, sets, and vocal performances were just amazing.  I think if I had not become a music teacher and married Mark, settling into our routine in Laurel, my dream job would have been to be a member of the Met opera chorus.  That just looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!  I am always watching those chorus members.  They sing so many wonderful chorus moments, get to wear great costumes, perform with all the finest singers and musicians in the world....what's not to like!

Now we are home and will soon be watching our Disney movie of the week. We started this project back in the fall of 2011 with the first full length Disney film, Snow White, released in 1938, and have watched every Disney movie made up through 1985 so far.  Tonight's movie is the first one released in 1985, Down and Out in Beverly Hills with Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfuss, and Nick Nolte.  I remember seeing this one back then, but I don't remember much about it.  I think it's going to be fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment