Monday, May 30, 2011

Disappointment
















I am disappointed this morning. I was so sure I would be down a pound or two. Yesterday I was 246, the weight at which I joined Weight Watchers Online three weeks ago. This morning I was UP two pounds to 248. It is so irritating and disappointing and depressing.

I guess I cannot eat at Q'doba's for lunch anymore. I ordered from the Create 2 Menu, which are smaller sizes of things. I got tortilla soup with no meat and a naked burrito. In the burrito I put half the usual rice, black beans, grilled veggies, a small amount of hot queso cheese, medium hot salsa, and a small shake of shredded cheese on top. The bowl is less than half the size of the bowl used for the usual naked burrito. I estimated that it was about 600 calories, but that is a big rough estimate. I also ate at Denny's for dinner, which I did almost every night for two months back in the summer of 2009, and yet I lost 15 pounds in those two months. We were on vacation driving around the mid-West. I had a salad with no dressing (although there are croutons), the garlic herb toast, the senior portion of grilled tilapia (no sauce), and two sides (both steamed green beans). I have always estimated the calories on this at 750, mostly from the bread and croutons. For breakfast, I ate Mark's low-carb pancakes with three Morningstar sausage links and a sugar free yogurt, my usual Sunday morning. At night I had sugar free jello and a banana, my usual snack. The only other thing I ate was half of a beignet. I estimated 1800 calories for yesterday. That is not enough to lose weight on; in fact it's the amount I should have for maintenance, probably. So why does it cause me to gain TWO pounds?? ARGH!! So frustrating.

Tomorrow is my official weigh-in day. I will be eating exclusively at home today, which is always better. I also plan to walk, swim, and reorganize the garage. If today's weight gain is just fluid from too much sodium in the restaurant food, then perhaps I can knock it out today with all the activity and home cooking. Of course, I will let you know tomorrow.

Meanwhile yesterday was a lot of fun. We saw Kung Fu Panda 2, which was much better than the original. We really enjoyed it; in fact, the audience spontaneously applauded when it was over. Cool! That doesn't happen often in movies anymore. Then we went to lunch, perhaps not my wisest choice for the day. After lunch, we drove back to the farthest end of the parking lot out past the Cirque du Soleil building. We walked all the way across from the West Side to the Marketplace, where we boarded the river boat up to Port Orleans. I had been wanting to do this for awhile because you go past the Treehouse Villas. We stayed in them when the kids were younger and with Mark's mom. We stayed 10 days, and it was so much fun!! Then they shut them down for years when the Disney Villa resort became the Disney Institute for about six or seven years. Then that resort reopened recently as Saratoga Springs and the Treehouse Villas got a complete makeover and also reopened. I had looked at the new floor plans for them at the kiosk selling the time shares. They are now part of that, but anyone can also book them. I really wanted to take the boat and cruise past them to see what they look like now. It did not disappoint; they are beautiful in the woods.

When we got to Port Orleans, we walked around the resort for awhile and then ordered the freshly made beignets. You are supposed to get 3 in a serving, but for some reason we got 4. Mark and I cut one in half and shared it and brought the others home. This morning, he said he would just throw them out. Clearly neither one of us needs to eat them. Mark also got extremely lucky in the gift shop. They are the only store in the past year that has had sugar free Mickey chocolate bars. He found them last summer at the Wide World of Sports Complex gift shop and pronounced them the best sugar free chocolate EVER! He has been on a hunt for them ever since. Now that he found them, he bought six bars. The cast member said they regularly have them. Wow! We may be going to Port Orleans every now and then just for these candy bars.

After taking the boat back down the river, we walked all the way back to the car, with just a brief stop in another shop for some Disney coffee. I had to take a short sit-down break on a bench once we got between House of Blues and Cirque du Soleil. My legs were aching. Mark checked the menu at House of Blues because in the past they had nothing we could eat. Fortunately, they have changed the menu and have several fish or vegetarian pasta options that we could eat. I told him we should not go there until I have lost 15 pounds.

I am maintaining my weight now between 246 and 250. Every time I get down a few, I put them right back. I have been in this range since the beginning of 2011. I guess maintenance is better than gaining, but this is NOT a good weight to maintain. I really need to get to 230 before I eat out again, but I don't think that's going to happen. I just don't know what else to do. I'm irritated and disappointed and frustrated.
















3 comments:

  1. Becky-

    Fluid, fluid. fluid. My guess this lymphedema thing (excuse the spelling) may cause you to retain fluids. Ask the doctor.
    Loook at what you are eating and what are some smmal changes-get rid of the croutons, rice, cheese. I know I can say it but I do not always do it. Get some sugar free jelllo , sugar free pudding, fudgcicle sticks. Lots of carrot and colored peppers.

    Hang in there. Better to be aware that you are not losing then not aware that you are gaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, hang in there. I know how hard this is because I lost 25 from diagnosis through treatment but started gaining it back in radiation. I think I've gained back 10-15 of that. it is frustrating. I can't be as active as I'd like because of arthritis so I think you do great with as active as you are. I think too it is water and fluid. Cancer and chemo do strange things to a person's body. Just hang in there. I bet soon things will make a big turn around for you and off you'll go with consistent weight loss. I'm pulling for you big time.

    Hugs,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robin and Juanita. You both are giving great advice!

    ReplyDelete