Monday, May 9, 2011

We are back from a great trip!






I hope you all had a great time without reading my blog for the last three days! Ha ha!!

We had an uneventful flight up and back to Maryland. While we there, it was AWESOME. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at the New Deal Cafe in Greenbelt before picking up our friend Frank. Friday afternoon was relaxing, and then we had an excellent Shabbat dinner with our friends Dave, Evey, Saul, Phyllis, Jeff, Sara, Josh, and Frank. Saturday morning was the Keter Shem Tov in honor of good friend Dick R. It was spectacular! I especially enjoyed the opportunity to stand in front of the choir and direct two of our very special songs: "Sim Shalom," and "Amen." I literally had not lifted my arms to direct anything in nearly two years, since I left the stage in June 2009 following that year's spring concert. The excitement between me and the choir was palpable. I never heard them sound so good! I have to thank Arlene and Rachel for making this happen. It was a highlight of the weekend for me. On Saturday night, Lowell and his girlfriend Emily came over. We gave them some gifts we had gotten for them on the cruise and at Epcot. Lowell gave me a Mother's Day card and gift. Just spending some hours with him and Emily would have been enough of a present. We had a spectacular dinner at Timpano's in Rockville. OY! My calories this weekend were NOT good, but the flavors and company were amazing.

When we got back Sunday, we immediately went to see Davy Jones, formerly of the Monkees, perform at Epcot. He did a great job! We sure did enjoy hearing a lot of the old favorite songs. When it was over, Ed and Marian from our new synagogue came up to us. They had been just a few rows back, so we walked all the way back to the trams with them. It was good to have some time to chat with them and start to get to know them a little better. They were originally from Peabody, MA, a place we stayed in for two weeks when Evey had knee surgery in 2007. We even attended Ed and Marian's synagogue, but they were already down here at that time.

Today has been another wonderful day. This morning, Mark and I attended a Hurricane Preparedness lecture. It was great, with lots of handouts and shopping lists. It was good to get all this information. We also took advantage of the special 15 month discounted membership to the local BJs. We have never shopped at a BJs, but we are going to give it a try. We also bought two tickets to the Solivita Democrats Club dinner and lecture for this Wednesday evening. And it was only 11 a.m.!! After the lecture, I took care of a few odds and ends in the house, ate lunch, and then played Mah Jongg with my neighbors for the second time. I only won twice today, but that was enough. Two women came today who had not come last Monday, so I got to talk to more neighbors. This is such a wonderful opportunity to get to know the ladies on my street. I just LOVE IT!! I never lived on a street before where the neighbors got together to do anything.

Mark and I went up to the gym and worked out after Mahj. That was a good thing. Then we did some more chores in the house, balanced the checkbook, made dinner, and counted up my points/calories for the day. I'm having the first excellent day in quite awhile. I hope that I will show a small loss tomorrow morning, but that remains to be seen.

I haven't forgotten that I have three more topics to discuss: YNY, survivorship, and lymphedema/compression sleeve. I'll try to do one tomorrow. I already wrote enough today!

Enjoy the pictures of Lowell and Emily and Davy Jones.

3 comments:

  1. I am very happy that you got to direct your choir for two songs. Did anyone get to tape you directing? I bet it would have made a great picture. A weekend that sounds as fun as you write is the best thing in the world for you. I hope that your weight check isn't too bad tomorrow, but in case it isn't what you'd like just don't forget the wonderful time you had this weekend.It's great that your getting to know your neighbors so well. I love the pictures of Lowell and Emily. They make a very cute couple. You sound so very happy today and that makes me feel good for you. This is the best way for you to fight cancer--to be enjoying your life so much. Don't you agree? Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still smiling from Saturday - there was so much energy flowing between those of us in the choir and you as our conductor, I think we could have lit up Epcot. I loved getting to chat with you and you looked so good! The pictures you posted are great - I wish I could have gone to the Davy Jones concert with you - I had such a crush on him when the Monkees were originally on TV (I even occasionally see reruns on TV now). It's nice that you have a Mah Jongg group in your neighborhood. We had more contact with our neighbors when our daughter was young because all our kids played together. Now the neighbors I see are mostly the ones who are my Mary Kay customers or whose children are my piano students. Hope you don't have to use that hurricane info much, though it's great to have, just in case. Love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda,
    I agree with you totally that living a great life is the best way to fight cancer. I am hoping I am cancer free now, but there is no real way to know until I have some scans a few months from now, I guess. Time will tell.

    Hi Nadine,
    Yes, the energy between the choir and me was just amazing. Davy Jones is going to be touring with Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz this summer. They are going to be in Virginia somewhere, and that will be the closest one to you. They will be in the Clearwater area pretty soon, but we're not sure we are going to try to go. We saw the three of them perform together at least twice before. They do give an amazing concert.

    ReplyDelete