Thursday, May 19, 2011

Yes, there really is a Farmville.

I am now in Farmville, VA. I put it on Facebook that I was going there today, and I had friends who were surprised that such a place actually exists. If you play games on FB, you'll know what I mean. So to all of them I say, YES, Farmville is a real place. It's the home of Longwood University where my sister Flyn has been a professor for over 25 years. Tomorrow her daughter Katie will graduate high school, so that is why Mark and I are here.

The EconoLodge back in Florence had a "jogging trail." It was a sign in the parking lot that said three times around the entire parking lot oval equaled one mile, so Mark and I walked around it four times for one and one-third miles in 30 minutes. Not a bad start to the day.

I ate a perfect breakfast of two hard boiled eggs (140 calories) and a packet of plain instant oatmeal (100 calories). That was equivalent in calories to my normal breakfast. I ate an apple mid-morning in the car for about 80 calories. We found a Subway for lunch in NC. I had my usual (190 for the double turkey salad and 130 for the Baked Lays chips), but I blew it on the Keebler Club Crackers. Sadly they tossed EIGHT packages of crackers on the tray and I ate them all. That was an additional 240 calories. OK, well, that was the same as the pecan log I ate yesterday. I should have stopped, but I didn't. I had bought Key Lime Coconut Patties yesterday at Stuckey's also, and I ate them when we got in the hotel. 300 calories for the two patties. Now I've had a total of 1220 and no dinner yet. Sigh. Why do I do these things?

We are going to a cool sounding restaurant tonight that's just down the road from the Hampton Inn here called Charley's Waterfront Cafe. It's on a river and used to be a pre-Civil War tobacco warehouse. It sounds fun and is rated 2 diamonds by AAA. I'm sure I will eat another 800 calories in there easily even with no bread, no dessert, and no alcohol. So I guess today will end up being around 2300 calories after I eat my bedtime banana. If I had skipped the crackers and coconut patties I could have saved 540 calories, and the day's total would have looked a lot better. Oh, well...

Our drive today was easy and uneventful. I liked it because we got off I-95 around Raleigh, NC and drove the rest of the way on "new" roads. At least that was more entertaining than just slogging up I-95 any farther. I'm getting very bored with that road after so many years of driving up and down the coast. We'll be going up for the Fourth of July weekend to NJ and then on to Boston for Labor Day Weekend. Driving up and down the I-95 corridor is bound to be in my future many more times. Guess I'll just relax and enjoy it.

3 comments:

  1. I hope that you enjoyed your restaurant tonight. I'm not a big fan of driving. I hope that you can find some good radio stations or CDs to listen to to help pass the time. You are making me want to check out the Farmville game on Facebook. Have a good time at the graduation. I'm glad that I am not the one who was faced with key lime anything. I love everything key lime. I think I would have tried those key lime patties too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah, key lime anything! It's hard to resist. Mark is a great driving buddy. He reads aloud to me lots of different things while we drive, USA Today, articles from magazines, etc. We sometimes pop in a CD, but not too often. I do find it harder to get out of the car if I drive for too long though. I get so stiff! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    Your trip sounds wonderful to me. I love going on your adventures with you, in a way, through these posts. Don't stress about the extra calories. You do so well when at home so think of it as sometimes travel stress allows for a little extra calorie consumption and it balances out. The stress causes your body to burn more. At least that is what I would be telling myself. LOL> Enjoy your trip and the time with Mark in the car. I love to go with Lynn in the car. We just don't get to do it often enough. When we drive out to Maine to our daughter's, we have to stop every 2 hours for him to walk 10 minutes. Dr's orders because of his P.A.D. in his legs. That's the only way his Dr. will let us take a driving trip. We've learned to enjoy the slower pace and stops. Mainly because we know it keeps him safe and healthy.

    Hugs,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete