Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo




Today we are going to celebrate Cinco de Mayo by going to the Mexican Pavilion at Epcot. We are going to have cheese empanados for lunch (couldn't find them in the points calculator on WW app) and drink some tequila. We will also ride the boat ride inside, and we are hoping the mariachi band is out and playing while we are there. It shouldn't be a long time over there, but it should be lots of fun.

I was up every hour last night to go to the bathroom, but I was rewarded with another few pounds gone. I was only 244.5 this morning. Wow! That's about four pounds since Tuesday. I think it's the walking every day, but maybe WW online is helping me stay focused. That was the goal. I don't think the cheese empanadas and tequila are going to help much today, but I will walk a lot to get out there and back to the car. Dinner will be at the Lakeside restaurant with free wine, too, so this will be a high calorie day. Sigh.

Tomorrow we fly to Baltimore for a whirlwind weekend full of fun, friends, family, and food. OY! So much food!! Another sigh.

Yesterday I got my compression sleeve and gauntlet. I described the mild pain and odd feelings in my arm to the girl fitting me with the sleeve. Although she is not a doctor, she does see lymphedema a lot in fitting and measuring these sleeves. She seemed to think that my fear that I'm starting to develop it might be true. Next, I went to the doctor's office and got the process started to go be evaluated at the local lymphedema clinic. They are sending over records and whatever else they need, then I should get a call soon to set up an appointment. Meanwhile I wore the sleeve all day yesterday, and it actually felt good. The amount of pain/discomfort I have been feeling in the left arm these last two weeks was definitely lessened. I am not going to wear it today because I have to wear it all day tomorrow with the flight. It seemed very hard to get on. The girl in the office basically put it on me, so I'm a little nervous about trying to get it on myself tomorrow morning in a hurry to head out to the airport at 6:15 a.m. I also got a prescription to go back to the same place as the sleeve to be fitted for mastectomy bras and a small prosthetic to even me out. CIGNA will pay for this, just like the sleeve, so I didn't see any reason not to pursue it. I have to call to set up that appointment. I probably won't have time to do it until we get back from MD next week.

I know I teased you with all those topics yesterday, but I won't have time to pursue the others today. I need to go to my cancer support group meeting soon, so this blog will have to come to an end today. I did include a few pictures of our mini-golf outing yesterday. Mark and I like playing miniature golf, and we realized that around here there are literally dozens of courses. It took us about an hour. With the many steps up and down and the walking around in the heat, I was sweating pretty heavily. I counted it as my aerobic activity for the day! Now if only I had not followed it up with the Twistee Treat cone! Final sigh.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are getting evaluated to see if you are developing lymphedema. That was a very scary topic for me when I first had bilateral mastectomies 9 1/2 years ago. The lymphedema therapist thought I was developing it too. I had a few weeks of lymphatic massage. If it is any encouragement to you let me tell you that my arm has not increased in size over the last 9 1/2 years since post mastectomy. I think that there is a little swelling but it definitely does not stand out. Hopefully yours will stay at the very minimal stage also. I am thinking of you. I hope that you have a wonderful time in Maryland. By the way did they suggest to you to roll the lymphedema sleeve down so you are just pulling the first couple of inches onto your arm initially. Once you get the first couple of inches on it should be more easy to just roll the sleeve back over the rest of your arm even though it will still be tight. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. She didn't really tell me to do that, but it seems logical. She said wear a rubber glove so I don't accidentally nick it with a jagged fingernail because then it will just start unraveling and be useless. I bought a box of 40 gloves at Wal Mart yesterday and used one to take it off last night. I didn't wear it today, so I'll see how getting it on tomorrow goes. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete