Thursday, September 29, 2011

Some thoughts on the Rosh Hashanah Services

I was really looking forward to going to services this morning because everything would be different. I realized during the service that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it all because I certainly did, but I found myself missing certain things.

First, I missed Cantor Phil. I like our new Cantor Doug's voice a lot, and we are used to his regular Shabbat morning service now. Still, Doug sang almost no tunes that we recognized. I especially missed Phil's Hineni A LOT! Doug had a totally different tune, and he did not walk up from the back of the house to the bima. A lot of the drama of the piece was missing. Although to the credit of this congregation, no one walked out during it. I also missed many other tunes that Phil would regularly do that got the congregation singing along or that we enjoyed listening to. The Una'tana'tokef (no idea how to spell that!) was another one that had no drama to it today. No one sings that like Phil! I guess after a few more years here I will start being able to sing along with Doug and get used to his tunes, but today I was just missing Phil.

Second, it turned out I missed the choir! Last year I went to Rosh Hashanah and listened to the choir. I remember thinking they didn't do very well that first year without me. I'm sure they were much, much better this year. During today's services, I kept thinking, "Oh, this is where they would be doing this song or that song..." I thought about them a lot and missed them. At one point, a lady across the aisle came over and commented on my singing. Then, out of the blue, she said, "You should start a choir here!" Whoa! I bet my eyes widened. I told her I had been a synagogue choir director in the past. She said she was an alto and was going to move permanently to this area and would love to be in a choir. Hm...something to think about. There are many good singers in this congregation who regularly make up nice harmonies to the cantor's melodies. Of course, you never know if they would turn out for rehearsals. Also it's a 45 minute drive each way to this synagogue, and I'm already spending Monday and Tuesday nights out at choir practice in Solivita. Do I really want to try to start up another synagogue choir? Well, probably not, but it sure was enticing me today.

Third, Mark and I really missed our friends. After 35 years at Mishkan Torah, it was a pleasure to walk into the building and know literally everyone, greeting most everyone by name. It would take us forever to leave the building just saying hi to all our friends. Today, we knew virtually no one. There are just a handful of people that we remember by name and face from the Shabbat morning services. Of course, those folks were friendly and wished us L'shana Tovah, but most of the time we sat looking around at strangers, listening to strange tunes we could not sing along to, and missing the old days.

Fourth, I missed Mishkan Torah's cadre of shofar blowers. Here only one man blew the shofar every time. He did have two different shofars, a little one and a huge one, which he alternated using. He was very good at it, but I missed the variety of different people. I especially missed the cacophony created by the entire cadre performing the final Tikiah Gadola from all around the sanctuary. One guy alone on the bima just didn't do it for me. Mishkan Torah, you have spoiled me.

On the plus side, we used a prayer book that we did not know but enjoyed. Last year the synagogue decided to use the new Rabbinical Assembly high holiday prayer book. They have encouraged congregants to purchase their own copies, so Mark and I did. Because the book was new, we had plenty of interesting new readings, translations, and explanations to read to ourselves. I enjoyed that.

Another plus is the new rabbi. He is only 28 years old, which I learned today when he announced that in his sermon. He has a two year old daughter and an 11 day old son. For a young man just graduated from rabbinical school a few months ago, his skills are just amazing; of course, he is the son of a rabbi, married to a rabbi, and his sister is married to a rabbi. He is a product of the Solomon Schechter day school education, a year in Israel, and graduate of Brandeis University before attending the Jewish Theological Seminary in NY. For a young man, he has tremendous presence on the bima, and we enjoyed his sermon today. He also sings harmony along with the cantor and has a great sense of humor! Amazing.

Tomorrow we will go back for the second day of services. I'm looking forward to hearing the rabbi's second sermon and having time to read some more of the side bars in the prayer book. I'm also going to wear shoes with toes in them, socks, a long skirt, and a sweater! We were freezing in there today. This place has two things going for it all the time: excellent air conditioning and a great sound system. Today the sound system was really loud and the AC was cranked! I'm going to dress warmer and sit further back tomorrow! There are no assigned seats here unless you want one and pay extra for it. We decided not to do that. We have always liked sitting in the back anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Missed you, too. Choir was fabulous. We had dynamics. We blended nicely. Our Yihyu was breath taking. Becky, you are a hard act to follow--but as bad as last year was, this year Rachel turned it around. The neat part was at the end of Amen, we could hear an audible gasp from some folks who were just blown away. Felt really good.

    I know what you're saying about missing Phil's voice and all the folks at Mishkan Torah. I suspect in a year you'll still be missing old friends, Phil's voice-- but will be happy and excited with your new buddies.

    Give you credit for even thinking about starting another choir--will check with Mark about having your head examined. :)

    Shana Tovah--Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlene,
    I'm so, so, SO glad that choir was awesome this year. That really makes my heart warm. I would not want to think that you guys could not rally and get it together. I knew Rachel would improve if you all just gave her some time, and it looks like that has happened. Now that you sounded good on the holidays, maybe some more members will be inspired to join.

    I agree that I should have my head examined if I even THINK about starting another choir. It was a fleeting moment, and two days later in the light of day, I can see how STUPID that would be.

    We are, however, signed up to perform in the synagogue talent show! Ha Ha! It's the first year they have ever done one, and it's a fund raiser. The performers had to PAY to audition. ha ha! How funny is that??? We are going to do of the CW songs from the Cabaret, but I had to buy a whole new outfit since I've gained forty pounds since then. UGH. The new shirt arrived in the mail yesterday, and it looks pretty good.

    Saul and Phyllis will be meeting us at the new shul this morning and staying a few days. I'm excited! Of course, I'll be writing about that later. Have a great Shabbat and a wonderful New Year. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the end of the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talent show sounds like a whole lot more fun. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the performers paying to audition! Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete