Sunday, October 2, 2011

Saul and Phyllis

Mark and I got to SOJC for services earlier than we ever did before, 9:40. It was nice. Saul and Phyllis arrived, and it was just so exciting to sit in shul next to such good friends. We enjoyed introducing them to the the new rabbi and his wife and some of our new friends during kiddush. Still, it was even more fun driving them back to our house and showing them around.

We had a leisurely lunch and afternoon of just talking and catching up. Then we drove them through the community, past The Palms, and up to the Village Center. We walked the entire length, mostly so I could turn in my two library books, then we settled in at the Riviera Spa and Fitness Center. We showed them the indoor track, the gym, and dance studio, and then we swam for hours. Phyllis and I went into the indoor pool and swam some laps. I had never swum at the Riviera before, either indoor or outdoor, so this was great fun for me. After swimming some laps, we went to the outdoor pool and just hung out with the guys, floating on wacky noodles and paddling around. As it got closer to 6 p.m., it also got cooler, so everyone went to the hot tubs. Well, I went over and sat on the edge. I was naughty and actually put my feet in to just above my ankles. "Here wolfie, wolfie." This is a reference to that time that my lymphedema therapist said don't go in a hot tub because it was like calling the wolf. I love that expression. Hopefully, the wolf didn't hear me!

We came home for dinner, more leisurely talking and enjoying each other's company, before settling down to watch an animated film called How To Train Your Dragon. It was really cute. I don't know about the rest of them, but I fell into bed exhausted around 11:30.

This morning we are going to take them to Mosaics for the buffet breakfast and after that, who knows. We kicked around a lot of ideas: long walks, air boat rides, more pool time, mini golf, Gator Land, Cirque du Soleil, and other ideas. When I went to bed, I was still not sure what they will pick today. It doesn't matter to me. It's their vacation, and I want them to do what makes them happy.

I am very happy just having them in the house. Although we are enjoying meeting new people and making new friends in this community and in the synagogue, there is nothing like sharing time with people you have known over 30 years. It's a very warm, fuzzy feeling. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment