Monday, October 17, 2011

Tropical Storm


I went to bed so late last night that I did not set my alarm; therefore, it was 7:30 when I woke up. When I came out to the lanai to join Mark with a cup of coffee in my hand, he informed me the forecast said a tropical storm is on its way. It's going to give Orlando rain later today, then start up the coast. Well, guess who else is going up the coast?

Mark and I planned to leave tomorrow morning to drive to Florence, SC, and then Wednesday we would drive to Silver Spring, MD to Jeff and Sara's house. Hm...I really didn't think it sounded like a good idea to drive in a tropical storm over 900 miles across the course of two days. We kicked around the idea of leaving early this afternoon, canceling my Mahj game and Starliters rehearsal. That seemed like just too much to try to get ready to head out ahead of the storm today, and I really want to play Mahj and go to the rehearsal. So...Amtrak Auto Train to the rescue. Yeah! Now we are booked on the train. No worries. I only have to drive an hour and a half tomorrow afternoon, in the rain, up to Sanford. Then we can relax and arrive in Lorton, VA at 9:30 Wednesday morning. It might even not be raining up there by then.

Whew! Now I can relax today and get back to what we were scheduled to do.

I have my medical oncology four month check up today. I don't know what she will do to check me other than ask me questions and give me a quick physical look-over. I suspect she will write the prescription for a mammogram and ultrasound. I have to have that every six months, so it's due in mid-January. She will also want a blood test, I think, for tumor markers. I just had blood drawn last week for my primary care, but he doesn't test for that. I'm hoping they can just draw the blood today right in their office and get that over with. I'm also going to try to get the flu shot sometime today because I'd really like to have it before we go on our cruise. After all this, I will be playing Mah Jongg at 1 p.m. and at 6:30 the Starliters' rehearsal starts. Wow. Another busy day.

Last night we had a most marvelous time with new friends Wendy and Henry from our synagogue here. They are two absolutely delightful people! We laughed and talked for hours! Thank you, Wendy and Henry, for honoring us as our guests in the succah last night. It's going to be an annual event to have you over from now on!!

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping that you get wonderful news from your medical oncology appt. I hope you guys enjoy your Amtrak ride and stay safe in the tropical storm. I have ridden Amtrak a few times before and always had a great time on the train. I hope that the mammogram isn't too hard on you. That is one of the positive things about having a bilateral mastectomy. I never have to have mammograms again.

    My doctor never mentions the results of my tumor markers when he does them. He actually never mentions that he does them period. The other day I got brave and ordered a copy of my medical records from the hospital I get my blood drawn from. The reason that I was afraid was that I didn't know how high my tumor markers would be. They were elevated but not as high as I expected. I am glad that I looked at them. I hope that your tumor markers come back normal. Hope your Mah Jongg and singing are fun today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    She will only call me if the tumor markers are not normal. She took blood four months ago but did not call, so I guess they were fine then. I loved the singing, but I lost every game of Mah Jongg. I was the only one who didn't win at all. Just not my day!

    ReplyDelete