Monday, January 30, 2012

Calendars. OY!

Our day yesterday went very well. We did everything that I said we would do. There was only one glitch. When we went to take the tickets for the buffet dinner and the show (two separate events), we saw two other sets of tickets in the same place. Wondering what they were for, we picked them up and looked in horror at the dates. GONE. What?

We had forgotten to put those two events on our calendar. OY! We blew off $50 worth of tickets because we forgot to put them on the calendar. There was an afternoon luncheon with a health and wellness speaker and an evening concert. Well, I guess we learned a lesson. If you buy a ticket to something, PUT IT ON THE CALENDAR right away!!

The buffet last night was delicious. We were at a table with two other couples that we did not know, so we enjoyed pleasant conversation with them. Then we went to the show next door. Those seven people put in SO much work for that concert. The three women (Starlites) had many costume changes, tight harmonies, Andrews Sisters style, and a lot of energy. The four men (Soundburst) had several costume changes as well and sang mostly barbershop. They opened and closed the show singing together. It was just a fantastic night out.

Best of all, this benefit concert was raising money for the Solivita Performing Arts Council Endowment Fund. Each year since 2006, they have given grants for the arts to the local schools for thing such as band instruments and materials, classroom instruments for general/vocal music, supplies for visual arts classes, anything that they can to help out the arts programs in schools that are losing their funding. It's a cause close to my heart for sure.

I also loved being able to walk into that big ballroom and see so many people I know. Many of the members of Guys and Dolls and Startliters were in attendance, and two rows in front of us were four of our neighbors. I love the close, neighborly feeling we have here in Solivita.

This morning I'm running out of the house very early for that mammogram/ultrasound. When I get back, Mark and I will head to the gym. At 1 p.m. I'm hosting Mahj, and then at 6:30 I'm heading up to the ballroom again for the Starliters rehearsal. It's going to be a busy day, but I'm looking forward to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment