Sunday, January 29, 2012

Nice Weekend

I didn't write a blog yesterday because I didn't have anything special to say. Ha ha! I know that's rare. I have written many blogs over the last two years when I really didn't have anything special to say.

Friday was a lovely day, so we had a nice afternoon which included going to the gym and swimming in the pool. I actually swam in a different pool, which was not as long as my usual one, so I doubled the laps. I swam 20 laps, which took 35 minutes. That was a lot for me, so I went home proud of myself. Mark made us a delicious Shabbat dinner, and we settled down to watch some TV shows that we had missed during the week.

Saturday was a little cooler, so we decided not to do much outdoors. (Ha ha! For those of you in the north, when I say cooler, I mean low 70s instead of low 80s. Don't hate me!) In the morning we went to the synagogue service, which was lovely. Mark had stayed up really late Friday night reading, so he didn't want to stay for the Torah study after kiddush. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to focus, so we just went home. He had a lovely nap, and I had a lovely long conversation with my friend Leslie G. Leslie is also my daughter Evey's mother-in-law. I feel very blessed that I can count my daughter's in-laws among my friends. I'm not sure all in-laws feel the same way about each other.

When Mark got up from his nap, we watched our Disney movie for the week, Cinderella. We have been working our way through all the Disney movies, both animated and live action, since we came back from the D23 convention in Anaheim last August. It's been fun! This movie came out the year I was born, 1950. It has certainly held up well, probably better than I have! LOL!

Later we digitized another home movie BETA tape. This one was our vacation in NY in 1990. Evey was 3 and Lowell was 11. We went to Cooperstown, Lake George, the Kopelman's home in Utica, and then Niagara Falls. It was a lot of fun to watch, as they all have been. Evey and Lowell were both just so cute it hurts! I was at my lowest weight EVER since I had children, 200 pounds. I had been going to Weight Watchers. It was the year I turned 40, so I had just recently cut and permed my hair. Mark said he likes my short hair now better than he liked that perm. He never liked that perm. I was just surprised at how thin and young I looked. 200 pounds is not thin, but considering how I looked at over 300, or even now at 260, it looked really thin to me! Hm...maybe someday...

I can't wait to get some of these digital versions out to the kids so they can watch themselves. I wonder how much of those vacations they remember? I'd love to be able to sit with them when they watch them, but that is not likely to happen. I just hope they are willing to share some of their thoughts and memories with me when they do get around to watching them.

This morning, Mark made his usual, fantastic, Sunday morning breakfast: scrambled eggs, Morningstar sausage links, and a homemade lo-carb biscuit. Delicious. Now we are going to shower, dress, and take a 30-40 minute walk. At 1 p.m. we have a Purim spiel rehearsal at the synagogue. When we get back, we have a 5 p.m. dinner buffet in Mosaics, followed by a 7 p.m. concert in the ballroom featuring two small singing groups. The Starlites are a group of 3 women; the 4 men are called Soundburst. I know some of them are in the larger group that I'm in, but I'm not sure about all of them. These groups have been together for years and do many concerts throughout Solivita and the larger community during the year. Everybody says they are excellent, so I can't wait to hear them tonight. Also, it's a fundraiser for SPAC, the Solivita Performing Arts Council, which is the umbrella group that supports both of the groups I sing with, Guys and Dolls in the fall and Starliters in the spring. I heard this is a sold out performance.

Tomorrow morning at 8:15 I have my mammogram and ultrasound of only the left breast. I have to do this every six months for two years, so this is the second one. Last July it showed that seroma that the oncologist didn't mention until October. I'm curious to see if it has changed. I plan to call in a week and get the results right away. I may or may not need to go see a surgeon about it. I'm also hosting Mah Jongg in MY house Monday afternoon. This is unusual, but our usual hostess has had surgery this past Friday and won't be up to it yet. I volunteered to host instead. I'm looking forward to having everyone here!

So that's my update on the weekend and tomorrow. I hope all of you reading this blog are also having a great weekend and looking forward to the start of a new week Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on a great result for your mammogram tomorrow. Have fun with Mah Jong at your house.35 minutes of swimming is excellent. I'm not a good enough swimmer to swim that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't learn to swim until I was 11 or 12 years old, but I always loved being in the water. I took swimming for my PE credit in college. I'm still not fast, but I know four or five different strokes from those PE days. I mix them up so I don't get too tired on just one. I would probably get a better aerobic workout if I stuck to the same stroke the whole time, but I don't. Still, I figure moving, even slowly, is better than sitting still! Right? Today we are going to go walk, and I don't walk fast either. Still...moving vs. sitting!

    ReplyDelete