Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lots of walking

Yesterday went exactly as planned. We even walked 1.9 miles in 40 minutes after doing our weight machines. I was pretty excited about that. Today, Mark and I also walked 40 minutes. I'm feeling pretty good about this week. I've eaten pretty carefully at almost all the meals, so I hope the scale shows a loss tomorrow morning.

Mark had his doctor's appointment today for his routine check up every four months. He did not like his A1C numbers, so the doctor wants to see him again in one month to see if he can get his sugars down a bit. The MOST interesting thing is that this doctor is leaving the practice in just five days. We were surprised. He did not impress us on his first visit, but we have stuck with him for the entire year and were learning to like him. I think he's a good doctor, but the office staff and nursing staff were not so good. Apparently, he felt the same way! Mark told him this today in the office, and he said that he felt he deserved to work at a good practice. I think he's right.

A lady doctor with good credentials and training is taking his place, so our next appointments will be with her. We plan to give her a chance, but we may then move on to a different location. We've talked about it several times, but it's just easier to keep going back to the same place, especially when we were both starting to like the doctor. I hope this new lady is good. Interesting that today Mark also noted the office staff and nursing staff were much friendlier and on top of things than in the past. Maybe things will start to improve over there.

I will not be blogging again until Friday because we are flying to Washington, D.C. tomorrow. We are attending a funeral Thursday morning at Arlington National Cemetery. I wrote about Gordon Beckwith's passing from Lou Gehrig's disease awhile back, when it happened. He was a career Navy man and also spent years working for HUD. His wife, Sharon, was a co-worker of Mark's at Goddard from the early days. Sharon and Gordon both attended our wedding in 1975, and they both made the trip up from their retirement home in Florida to attend Mark's retirement party in January of 2007. We feel that we can do no less than honor him and Sharon by attending his memorial service and interment at Arlington.

Meanwhile, today while I was walking, I discovered something. I said to Mark that when I eat less and exercise more I feel stronger, healthier, and younger. I'm sure everyone feels that way. I'm sure anyone who eats less and eats well IS healthier, and the exercise definitely makes you stronger and healthier. Both combined give me, and most people, a feeling of youthfulness and vitality. HOWEVER, I also noted that it does NOT make me HAPPY. Sitting around, not moving, overeating, or at least eating anything I want whenever I want it DOES make me feel happy. Isn't that sad?

2 comments:

  1. Just caught up on all your postings. The one I liked best was about the Beta tape. We still have our copy on VHS. The kids always called it the Mark and Becky tape. One year, they were all sick at the same time and we would watch that tape 4 or 5 times in a row! It sure kept them occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, those tapes brought back some great times. And didn't we all look young and thin in those days! Although, I bet Ron is thinner now since he's doing so well. I wish I could get back to that weight. Maybe I can someday; it was 200.

    ReplyDelete