Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good days can be worth it.






I will start the blog off with a few pictures from our cruise. I took 501 pictures! If you want the whole album, just shoot me an email and I will be glad to send it to you. I sent it only to a few people because it is just so big!

Mark had hid my scale while I was on the cruise. That's actually not a bad thing for me. He put it out Tuesday night while I was at the Starliters rehearsal so that I could weigh-in yesterday, but he didn't hide it yet this morning. Naturally, I hopped on and was pleasantly surprised. I had already dropped the four and a half pounds gained on this cruise. I went back to 263.3, which was what I weighed on January 1 when we left for Fort Lauderdale. YAY!

I had an excellent day yesterday. I ate only 970 calories, drank a lot of water, walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes, and did my 9 weight machines. I also went out in the evening to the synagogue rehearsal for the Purim shpiel. Those hours out mean I'm not eating!

Of course, I'm still carrying the 15 pounds from the October cruise and the holiday trips to Maryland and California. I am determined to lose them now. I feel a lot more in control, for some reason. Once I get back to the upper 240s again, which I used to think was HORRIBLE, I can try to work on the chemo weight gain. I know I can do it, if I apply all the skills that I have learned.

Yesterday, I listed 10 things that I know work to help me stay on track. Today I'm going to list two more that I thought of later:

1. Eat more slowly! I tend to gulp everything quickly. I need to follow Mark's lead on that because he has really mastered the art of eating slowly.

2. Don't bring anything into the house that I shouldn't have. When I was out of control this past month, I bought about five pounds of sucking candies like peppermints, spearmints, butterscotch discs, caramels, and root beer barrels. I put them all in a big bowl on my kitchen counter and was taking them by the handfuls every time I walked by or watched TV. STUPID!!! Yesterday I put what's left in a ziploc bag and tucked them away in the back of the pantry. I know they are there, but I sure can't access them as easily. I'm thinking one or two once a week for a special treat might not be too bad. I also put away the last two dark chocolate covered pretzels that were in the box.

Today I went to my cancer support group, always nice. Then I'm going to take a walk outside with Mark after going to the bank and the post office. At three o'clock I have a mani/pedi, and then we will eat dinner out like always on Thursday nights. I will have the free glass of white zinfandel, but I ate 120 calories less at breakfast than usual because I didn't have time for more, so I think that will account for the wine. I need to be sure I have no appetizer, no bread, and no dessert. Everything else should be OK. I am eating lunch at home, so that keeps the calories lower, too.

Tomorrow my brother Kip and his wife Denise are arriving around 4 p.m. Mark is making a fantastic chili for dinner and we can eat those leftovers for Saturday night dinner. Breakfasts will be at home, but lunch will be out Saturday and Sunday. I hope I can make wise choices there. I'm really looking forward to their visit to show off our house and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment