Monday, January 16, 2012

Fantastic MLK Weekend






Kip and Denise arrived at the Enterprise Car Rental place in Kissimmee at about 4:30 on Friday afternoon of MLK weekend. They had just spent six hours in the car driving down from Savannah, GA. It was so great to see them!

We had planned to have a Lonesome Dove weekend, and we sure did! Mark and Kip had already seen the six hour mini-series a few times, and they had read the books. I believe Denise had also watched a good bit of it in the past, but I was a rookie. I had neither watched it nor read the books. Instead of having our traditional Silverstein Family Pentathlon on MLK weekend, the four of us were determined to watch all six hours of the mini-series and eat some nice cowboy chili, too.

Mark had cooked up a big batch of Gene Autry Chili from his Cowboy Cookbook. Oh, it made an awesome Shabbat dinner! We watched the first part of the video Friday night, with some wine and Maker's Mark. Good start to the weekend.

On Saturday, Kip and Denise went horseback riding at the Forever Florida Eco Safari. They had a fantastic time. Mark and I read our books while they rode. After a great lunch right there at the safari, we took a long walk in the neighborhood and then had more chili and more Lonesome Dove that night.

Sunday morning I had to go to a synagogue rehearsal, so Mark took Kip and Denise to Fantasia Gardens for mini-golf. Denise enjoyed wearing her new golf shoes, but Kip was the big winner. We picked up some Chinese food on the way home, ate lunch, watched the rest of the mini-series, then drove them up to the Orlando airport.

It was a wonderful weekend, and I hope they will make this an annual tradition. I'm sure we could think of another video to watch next year. LOL!

I know that my calorie counts were much higher than they should be for weight loss. I'm pretty sure I was in the neighborhood of 2,000 on Friday, 2,400 on Saturday, and who knows what on Sunday with the Chinese food. I never wrote anything down the entire weekend either. Hm...broke all my rules pretty much. At least I took a nice walk on Saturday.

Today I am back on track. I am writing it down; I just did 20 minutes on my 9 weight machines and 22 minutes on the tread mill. I have eaten an appropriate breakfast and lunch. In half an hour I'm going to my neighbor's to play Mah Jongg, no eating there, then tonight I have a very long rehearsal for the Starliters. No eating there either. I hope Weigh-in Wednesday looks good.

Enjoy the pictures of Kip and Denise. I sure did enjoy their visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment