Thursday, March 29, 2012

Alzheimer's Research in Tampa






On Tuesday, Mark and I went to Tampa for the NARFE Appreciation Luncheon and Tour at the Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute. We had a lovely box lunch, which surprised us with a tuna salad sandwich and a garden sandwich option. The CEO, Dr. Morgan, gave us an informative lecture about the facility and its research while we ate lunch. Then we broke up into groups for a tour of the Memory C.A.R.E floor and the research labs themselves. Unfortunately, they did not take us to the basement to see the 5,000 mice down there that are used for the research. LOL!! It's also a clinic where patients and their caregivers come for evaluation and treatment options. I had no idea such a facility existed in this area. It's very impressive.

We also had a fantastic dinner party last night. Mark outdid himself cooking. I tried to eat as appropriately as possible. I had very little breakfast or lunch, but I still went over my allotment of calories by about 350. Oh, well...it means I ate 1800 calories yesterday, so I don't think that's going to kill the week as long as the rest of the week is good.

Today I'm eating my normal breakfast and lunch, but we will eat dinner at Lakeside. I did that last Thursday, too, so I am planning to eat the same exact things. I have already programmed my day's calories into the LoseIt app on my phone, so I should be okay today.

Mark has gone to a NARFE board meeting for the day, and I'm having an easy-going day at home catching up on some things I've been wanting to get done. At 3:30 I am going to a lecture in the ballroom on economics. I'm not that interested in economics, but the lecturer is a friend of mine from Starliters. I just want to hear him speak.

With any luck, I will also get out and take a walk today. I have not taken a walk in an entire week. Not good! After all those calories yesterday, it would be a real good idea to get back into the groove of walking!

Enjoy the pictures of the Alzheimer's tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment