Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pesach Shopping





Our day of shopping yesterday was very successful but also very expensive. Last year we did not really know where to go, so we were running around for days on end looking for things. It was tiring and frustrating and time-consuming. This year we had a plan!

We left the house about 9:30 a.m. and headed to the farthest point north to Kosher Kats, the only kosher grocery store in Orlando. It's really north of Orlando in Longwood. This is the place that is owned by the daughter of Frank Pearlman's friend, Dave Unger. In fact, we were able to take Frank up there to visit with his friend last year. When we got there, we learned that Dave is not doing well. He has kidney failure and congestive heart failure. He has lost is short term memory. His daughter said that after someone visits, although he might know who they are at the time, he does not remember they were there as soon as they are gone. He had been in the hospital for a long time and has now been in a rehab center for about a month. His daughter asked us to pray for him.

I included pictures from our trip up there last year. Frank and Dave enjoyed their visit very much. I also included one picture of me with Frank because I was amazed at the change in my hair since this time last year!

At the store we were able to pick up a box load of things from our list for a total of approximately $205. Our next stop was the Publix just two miles down the road. This is where we were able to get a frozen turkey and Passover edition TV dinners. We also picked up some traditional Passover things like matzo ball soup mix, jars of gefilte fish, and upscale paper plates and flatware for the seder. The bill for this store was approximately $233.

When we got home, Mark put in an order to AviGlatt.com in NYC for the rest of our items for another $150. No one ever said Passover was CHEAP! This is for one week of food, and we are not done. All the fresh food, some frozen vegetables, and more plastic and paper products will be purchased just the day before. On the other hand, there will be plenty of leftovers, especially turkey, that should provide some more dinners after Passover, and we are serving 6 people for the first seder and up to 8 the second.

When we got home, I only had an hour before heading to the Starliters rehearsal. It's going very well. I think the show will be great. Unfortunately, ticket sales are not going great! I hope some more people buy tickets in the next three weeks. We have worked two nights a week since last October to prepare this show. I think everyone, especially the director, will be disappointed if it is not a sell-out for all three shows.

Today Mark and I are heading back to the Tampa area for another NARFE activity. NARFE's main charity is the Alzheimer's Association for Alzheimer's research. We are going to have a box lunch and a tour of the Alzeheimer's Institute in Tampa as a NARFE Appreciation Day for support in the past. It's for all the local central Florida chapters. It will be another day like yesterday. I'll have about an hour when I get home before heading out to the Starliters rehearsal.

Busy days are good days!

I am excited to get on the scale tomorrow. I have not walked much this week, maybe only once, but my calories have averaged between 1300-1400 every day for the week as long as I behave today. My breakfast and dinner will be at home and planned, but the box lunch at the NARFE event is an unknown. I hope it's gong to be something reasonable. I will report on it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment