Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So busy. DOWN 6.9 on Wed. morn!






The last post was Saturday, and here it is Tuesday night. I've barely had a moment to turn around in between. I've been to shul, practiced piano a half hour every day, practiced with the flutist, ate an appropriate amount of corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day, went to WDW for a ballgame and a concert, practiced more piano, cleaned up some areas of the house, met with the cantor to start a mini-choir at SOJC, went to Starliters rehearsal, practiced another song with another lady for a recital in April, exercised, walked, swam, and went to another Starliters rehearsal. Are you exhausted? I am!

The pictures today are from Sunday, our trip to the ballgame at Champion Stadium in WDW and fun with Barb and Al later at Epcot.

I have decided that Al and I are soul mates, in a way. He and I understand food addictions and binge-eating disorder. He has also dealt with many of the same issues. It was good to talk those feelings over with him at the restaurant, Sweet Tomatoes. (Great restaurant, BTW. Same as the salad place we went to in Cupertino!) Anyway, I am not alone. There are others out there fighting a food addiction. I just don't think there is enough out there to help us. Diet and exercise are two thirds of our problem. Sometimes, we are strong enough to work on those. There's certainly a lot out there about it. The mental piece is the third part, the one that is rarely addressed. I know Weight Watchers tries to help with it somewhat. People do try to psych you up at meetings to get motivated and to work hard. Certainly having a group to support you is helpful. It has worked for me very successfully twice, but it has failed me at least six other times when I joined and just couldn't do it. It was that mental discipline that I couldn't find that time.

I'm happy to report that I'm holding my mental attitude in line right now. I've been exercising and eating right. We ate at Subway for lunch on Sunday and I ate very well for dinner at Sweet Tomatoes, nothing high calorie and no large portions, except for salad veggies! Tomorrow morning is Weigh-in Wednesday, and for the first time in weeks, I'm looking forward to the day.

Mark and I have an INSANE day tomorrow (I KNOW! Many of you are rolling your eyes and saying every day is insane in the Silverstein household!) because we have a two hour drive to the Tampa area for a NARFE event, a tour of a guide dog facility. We have to be there at 10:30, but we will get to pet the dogs! How cool is that? We will eat an appropriate Subway lunch before high-tailing it back to Solivita where the bus leaves at 4 p.m. Starliters has a bus going out to dinner and the musical Young Frankenstein in Lakeland. We won't get home until midnight.

So, don't expect much of a blog tomorrow! LOL! I promise to post my weight loss, though, because I'm going to be VERY PROUD of it!!

3 comments:

  1. So I am not posting a big blog Wednesday morning because as I said above, I'm rushing to get out early, but I promised to post the weight loss. That's why it says down 6.9 in the title now! I went from 264.3 down to 255.4 this morning. I'm pretty excited. I know I can't do that well any future weeks, but I am very happy for it this week. My little goal now is to get into the 240s at the end of two more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. being busy helps with the overeating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on that weight loss Becky!!!! I know how hard all this is because I have some of the same struggles and I am not happy about my gaining back what I lost in chemo (not happy that you or I had to do chemo either though!). Evey is amazing and her pep talk on reality impressed me too. We don't actually eat out a lot (and I have to agree with your other friends, it does seem you would have better control until you can gain control, if you ate at home more). We're not retired and we just don't do it. Because of Lynn's blood clotting problem and his P.A.D. in his legs, an awful lot of food products that come into our house is low/reduced fat-low/reduced sugar. My biggest regret is he loves greens and broccoli/cauliflower but he is drastically restricted because of his blood issue. I don't eat them as I don't want them to be a temptation to him. Some weeks while he is at work, I'll have a chef's salad (with appropriate dressing) at lunch every day. It is really hard for me to work a diet around his restrictions and have to do 2 different vegetables or whateer each evening. I have a weakness for dark chocolate but don't even eat it every day or even, every other day. You'd think I could lose weight easier then I do but I have a lot of arthritis and that limits my activities from what I'd like them to be. Anyway, I know you can do this. I know Evey, Bless her Heart, will keep you be accountable and her pep talk is getting me more motivated to try, even with the arthritis, to get more walking in. Hugs to you and to Evey.

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete