Sunday, March 11, 2012

Jose Feliciano and 12 Angry Men

Going to services was a pleasure yesterday. We had not been in several weeks, so that alone made it a pleasure. Then to top it off, there was an Auf Fruf. For those non-Jewish readers, that's a bride and groom being called to the Torah the day before their wedding. I still remember going to Mishkan Torah in 1975 for MY Auf Fruf with Mark. That was just nice to see the happy couple up there. Our new rabbi is so skillful, too. He tied the Torah portion in very nicely to a new couple starting life together. His sermon/discussion was just SPOT ON for the day.

Then we stayed afterwards for the extra little Torah study class that one of the members leads every Shabbat. She is a retired Jewish educator, having taught for 42 years. She is very knowledgeable and teaches in a very down-to-earth, easy-to-understand way. I like it. In 10 days, she is having a knee replacement, so she will miss a few Shabbat mornings. Mark was thrilled to be asked to cover for her one of those mornings. He'll do a great job!

One thing she mentioned from yesterday's portion was the "recipe" for an incense that the priests were told to make for the temple service. She then talked about how scents can really bring back memories. So true! This morning, like all Sunday mornings at home, Mark made low-carb pancakes, scrambled eggs, and veggie sausage links. The kitchen smells of the pancakes cooking and that smell brings back my own childhood memories of my grandmother cooking pancakes on a Sunday morning. Such a nice thought.

In the afternoon we relaxed at home, and Mark slept about two hours. He's fighting a bad cold, and it's really sapping his strength. I had to finally wake him up at 6:10 because at 6:40 we had to head up to the ballroom to see the Solivita Players put on their Spring play, Twelve Angry Men. Neither of us had ever seen it before, and we were looking forward to it. It did NOT disappoint. Wow! There is so much talent in Solivita. We also like running into dozens of people that we now know. We ended up sitting next to a lady who sings in the Starliters with me. When it was over, we saw a lot of our neighbors. I just LOVE this place! There was going to be a nice reception after the show, but Mark was just not up to it. I really wasn't sure he was going to be up to going to the show at all, so he rallied for that, but then he had to get home and collapse again. I hope he doesn't give it to me!

Today, after this delicious breakfast, we are going to do some household chores. Mark might even build another DVD tower if he feels up to it. I'm going to balance my checkbook, always fun! In the afternoon we are meeting Barbara and Al at 4:45 in front of the American Pavilion in Epcot to see the 5:15 p.m. performance of Jose Feliciano. He is the first one in the Spring Flower Power concert series for the Flower and Garden Festival. Except for "Feliz Navidad," which I don't know if he'll sing in the spring anyway, I don't think I know any of his music! I don't care. Mark and I enjoy going to these concerts no matter who is performing.

After the show, we are going out to dinner with Barb and Al at Mimi's, a restaurant at The Loop. In Anaheim, we had a Mimi's across the street from our hotel in 2010. We ate breakfast there twice, but we never had the chance to have a dinner there. I think it will be fun.

So...time to stop typing and time to get to chores. Breakfast has been consumed; Mark is loading the dishwasher. Now it's time to balance that checkbook! OY! It never balances, but at least I try every month.

One more thing: Happy Daylight Savings Day everybody! Enjoy the extra hour of daylight this evening and think of Springtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment