Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Busy day

This was our first full day back at home. Wow!  It really felt so great to be home.

I haven't written a blog since Saturday.  Everything that day went exactly as I had predicted it. I had a great time playing Mah Jongg.  I only won one game, but it was enough.  We also had a wonderful time hanging out with Georganne, Rudy, Felix, and Phyllis.

On Sunday I decided to upgrade our auto train accommodations to a sleeper car.  We took a sleeper car from DC to LA back in March of 2010, and it was wonderful.  I didn't order it originally because it seemed so expensive, but today when I called they said it would only be $132 to upgrade.  I decided that it was worth it, and then when we got there, it actually only cost $54!  I have no idea WHY, but I plunked down the $54 quite happily.  For that we got six complimentary bottles of water in our room, two BIG pillows EACH, a quiet and private room so we could watch our Disney movie out loud on my Kindle Fire, and an actual BED to sleep in.  It was wonderful.  The other perk is that the bathrooms in the sleeper cars are always cleaner because fewer people are using them.  There's also one on the same level as the sleeper roomette, so no worrying about going downstairs in the middle of the night.  I was very happy!  I had packed my camera, so I didn't take any pictures, but I had taken a lot of pictures back in March. I included a few of those today just for fun.

When we got to Sanford, ours was one of the last 12 cars (out of 165) to come out, so we had over an hour wait.  No problem.  We didn't mind.  We thought that the families who were running off to start a vacation should have their cars first anyway!  Once we got home, we unloaded and unpacked, at lunch, and fell right to sleep!  LOL!  We thought we were well rested, but we both sacked out almost three hours in the afternoon.  I guess all that vacationing was finally catching up to us.  We had a lovely dinner at the Stonegate Grille and came home to watch the Orioles get WHIPPED by Minnesota. 

Today we had our four month doctor visit for a check up.  When I was there in March, my blood sugar was 100.  That's just one point over the upper limit of 99, but I had never hit that before. I also weighed in that day at 264, not good.  The new lady doctor fussed at me that day, which inspired me to try to lose weight.  Of course, I got down to 245 and then all the company and the vacation put back a good bit of it.  Nevertheless, I weighed 258 today, so that was a loss of six pounds in her records, so she was happy.  Also my blood sugar (two weeks ago when the blood was drawn) was 98, normal.  All my numbers were great.  The cholesterol was the best it had been for the last several check ups.  She had nothing to say except keep up the good work!  YAY!!

Mark and I went to Clermont for lunch at the kosher restaurant, Cohen's, and to buy some fresh kosher ground beef.  We each ordered a salad.  Mark got a fried chicken Caesar salad and I got a Chef's salad, corned beef, turkey, and roast beef!  I also got chicken corn chowder.  So delicious. It's nearly an hour to get up there, but it's worth it.  We shopped at Publix for a few days of supplies, and then came home to do little chores, like paying bills and balancing checkbooks and writing some cards. 

It was a wonderful visit up north, but we are both so happy to be back to our own home and neighborhood. I just love Florida living!












2 comments:

  1. Oh there's no place like home! Dorothy sure got that one right... I love being on vacation, one of my favorite things actually, but there is nothing like coming home to your own bed. LOL... Sure am glad you had a great trip Reby, and that you made it home safely.

    Learning To Live Again – My Weight Loss Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brandie! And I'm actually looking forward to eating a bit more sensibly, too.

    ReplyDelete