Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy July 4th to everybody!

It's the Fourth of July!  Time to watch 1776. We used to watch it every year as a family tradition, but things happen and we fell out of that tradition.  Today it is being aired on TV at 5 p.m.  I am seriously considering watching at least some of it.  What a great show! 

One of my best memories is the summer of 1977 when Mark and I went to Philadelphia in July for a comic book convention.  We noticed that there was an outdoor theater set up in the plaza in front of Independence Hall and they were doing live performances of 1776.  We got tickets and sat outside that night watching the musical and looking to the right at Independence Hall, magically glowing in the evening lights.  It was fantastic.

Today we are going to a cookout at Kip and Denise's house.  Lowell, Emily, Cindy, and Ken will all be there along with some of Kip and Denise's church friends.  Mark and I are providing the kosher meat and pareve buns.  If it doesn't rain it should be fantastic!  If it does rain, I'll sit inside and watch 1776, so there is no downside to today.

Well, maybe there is a little downside.  I am definitely coming down with Mark's cold. It's settling into my voice and chest like all my colds do.  I'm coughing way too much. I hope the voice holds together until I get to sing my song tomorrow night at the "surprise" party. 

I have also done something to my back.  Yesterday I got up from the dining room table after eating lunch and felt an unhappy twinge in the small of my back.  Standing up straight, walking, sitting still, laying in bed, these things do not hurt.  Getting in and out of the car, bending over, twisting, OUCH!   Those things hurt a lot.  I took a lot of Advil and hoped that by this morning it would be better.  Of course, it's not.  I was looking forward to playing with Denise's three cattle dogs (Sydney, Roux, and Wallaby), but now I'm actually worried about it.

I also forgot to get on the scale this morning before I ate breakfast.  I got on it yesterday morning and it wasn't good.  There's no reason to expect it to be better today.  Mark and I had a huge dinner at David Chu's kosher Chinese restaurant last night.  We agreed to try two different things that we never tried before.  So between the two of us we got Two Dragons and Chinese Casserole.  They were delicious and filling.  We brought some of the casserole home because we couldn't finish it.  OY!  I'm sure my weight is NOT less than yesterday morning.  There are some pictures of our food at the end of the blog. 

Yesterday I was 249, so that's up two for the week. I might have been more this morning, but I've already eaten breakfast, so I'm not going to bother.  I will check tomorrow. haha!  After tonight's cookout, it's not going to be less tomorrow either!

We did spend the afternoon with my cousins Irene and Gary.  Irene has completely recovered from her mild stroke last fall.  I'm so happy for that!  She is a wonderful woman.  Everybody loves her and Gary, so I'm glad they are both doing so well.  Here's a picture of them from yesterday. There's also a picture of me with her cat on my lap.  I love petting kitties, so this was a treat to find a cat willing to accommodate me!







No comments:

Post a Comment