Friday, July 6, 2012

Yoni's Party

Last night was the original reason for this trip up north.  We received the invitation to Yoni's surprise 50th birthday party a few months ago.  Once I saw it was Thursday night, July 5, we realized it would be something we could attend.  Then I decided we should come up at least a day early and see the family for the Fourth of July.  Then I decided if we came up for the weekend we could go to our old synagogue and take Lowell and Emily to a ballgame.  That meant starting to drive up on Thursday, June 28 since we don't travel on Saturdays.  So at that point, I had stretched a one night event to a week! 

At that point we could have started home today on the auto train, but we decided to add another week! LOL!  We had been talking about going to NY to the cemetery where Mark's parents are buried and where we will be buried to take care of some details.  I said to Mark we are so close to NY at this point, why not just add that trip to this trip!  Yes, extending trips is one my specialties!

Now back to Yoni's party.  It was a wonderful evening.  Since Yoni and Yael are vegetarians, I knew the dinner would be great.  The buffet had salad, macaroni and cheese, eggplant parmesan, and vegetable lasagna.  Fruit salad and Carvel ice cream cakes topped off the meal.  There were about 70 people in attendance, including his parents, his siblings, Yael's mother and siblings, childhood friends, co-workers, and many synagogue friends.  Everyone that wanted to had a chance to come up and "roast" Yoni, but as Yael announced, it had turned into more of a "love fest."  No one can say anything mean about Yoni!  He's a wonderful guy. 

It was especially fun for me to be on the stage and sing with Lowell playing on the guitar.  He's fantastic on the guitar.  He plays a hundred times better than I ever did when I was at my best. Now I couldn't do anything on it anymore.  It was just one of those things that I've always wanted to do.  My cold is settling in, so I'm glad the show was last night. I still had some voice.  This morning I woke up with the sore throat that Mark has complained about for several days.  I also can barely talk, so it was lucky that I still had a voice last night!

Here are some pictures of last night's event. 















No comments:

Post a Comment