Sunday, July 8, 2012

History of Invulnerability

Today Mark, Lowell, and I are going to downtown Washington, DC to the Jewish Community Center's Theater J to see a play called "The History of Invulnerability."  It is about Jerry Siegel, who, along with Joe Shuster, created Superman.  I have heard from Phyllis that it is kind of dark.  We are all excited to be able to go see it.

There is a kosher restaurant there, too, so we are having lunch before the matinee performance.  When it's over, we will come back up to the Columbia area, pick up Emily, and go out to dinner.  Emily was originally going to be out of town today and unavailable for the play.  Then her plans changed, but she was able to set up a theater date of her own with her mother.  I think we will all have a lot of fun today.

This afternoon thunderstorms are predicted.  I am hoping that they don't make our driving between Baltimore and Washington and back too horrible.  The storms are needed to break this streak of 100+ degree days.  Tomorrow it's only supposed to be 90.

Yesterday worked out exactly as we planned.  We enjoyed going to shul.  Yoni's birthday celebration continued as his parents sponsored a delicious kiddush lunch for everyone!  Plus we enjoyed the opportunity to talk with some more old friends. Then I played Mah Jongg with Robin, Arlene, Wendy, and Janet.  I did not win a single game.  Robin won one game and Arlene won ALL the rest!  Now, seriously, is that fair?  LOL!!  Maybe next week...

Around 5 p.m. we went to Frank's house and looked through all of the boxes in his storage closet, reorganized them, sorted them out, and set aside the ones we are going to take.  It was just TOO hot to carry them to the car yesterday, so we will try to do that after shul next Saturday.  I feel honored that Frank wants me to have all of Alice's Passover dishes.  She certainly had some beautiful things.  I decided not to take any dairy items since we never cook dairy on Passover.  We just use paper and plastic for that.  It seemed too much to start doing dairy, too. I am taking her set of meat china, wine goblets, and assorted Passover objects like horseradish dish, matzo boxes, afikomen bags, and other things.  I remember many years using these things.  The wine goblets are especially beautiful and very old.  One set is silver rimmed and belonged to Frank's mother! I have always felt a part of the Pearlman family since we spent every Rosh Hashana and Passover together since Lowell was a baby.  Now I really feel like I am part of Frank's family since I am now the keeper of many of his most treasured possessions.  Thanks, Frank, for entrusting me with these things.  You will be using them again this spring when you come down for Passover.

Then it was time for dinner with Rabbi Jonathan, Mona, and Reuben.  Phyllis was also there!  What a fantastic night.  We just had the BEST time hanging out and talking.  Plus Mona is a fantastic cook!  I wish I had taken pictures of the food.  Wow!  It was as gourmet and delicious as anything we had at Disney.  We started with a tomato and mozzarella salad with crusty bread.  That was followed by salmon encrusted with wasabi peas.  I never had anything like it, but it was delicious.  On the side was a cold pilaf of brown rice, dates, and other delicious things.  There was also herbed string beans.  Just unbelievable!  For dessert she made a "Mona" specialty that was magnificent concoction of sponge cake, berries, and whipped cream.  Just saying those ingredients does NOT do it justice to how pretty it was and how delicious it tasted.  There was also a zucchini bread from Phyllis and a No Sugar Added ice cream for Mark.  I had all three!  Of course!






No comments:

Post a Comment