Friday, March 28, 2014

Even more suprised today

Today the surprise is in the opposite direction.  I'm up two pounds to 245 this morning, and I have no idea why.  This is the main reason that I should not get on the scale every day.

I'm not depressed about it thought because I know this big drop over those three days couldn't continue.  I expected to be the same this morning, though, so I was a little surprised.

Sometimes I can blame it on water retention, and I'm still doing that.  There's no other way to gain two pounds on 1400 calories except water retention.  Sodium usually causes that, so I guess there was more sodium in that lunch out yesterday than I realized.

The food was spectacular for our group yesterday.  I tried to estimate the calories and got 452.  I had a small piece of grilled tofu in Bibb lettuce with some grilled vegetables inside that wrap. I did not add either of the two dressings that were served on the side.  I estimated that at 125 calories.  I had a small portion of grilled salmon served on quinoa and 2 small Brussels sprouts, which I estimated at 189 calories.  The meal started with a spinach salad with chopped apples, pomegranate pieces, and some orange vinaigrette.  I didn't love that because I couldn't get it without dressing, and I don't love crunching pomegranate seeds.  I didn't eat all of it, so I estimated those calories at 138.

These calorie counts came from just looking up these foods on generic calorie count lists, so they may or may not be accurate.  Mark and I split each of the entrees, so neither portion was too large.  My total calories for the day were 1400, and I walked 30 minutes.

Dinner last night might have had too much sodium, too. I had a large salad with grated Parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup of cheese.  The main course was a small, individual pizza that Mark makes using a tortilla and fried in a pan.  Interesting process and quite tasty, but it also includes pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and vegetarian pepperoni slices.   Although the pizza has only 250 calories, I bet there is a LOT of sodium in those ingredients.  I know that whenever I eat salad with the grated cheese, the sodium goes up.  The 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese is 611 mg of sodium.  Breakfast was only 200 calories, but it was yogurt and vegetarian sausage links, also sodium rich.  I just realized that I fell back in to my old habit of eating soy products at all three meals.  I love that stuff, but it's not good for me to eat it three times a day because of the potential soy estrogens in it.  Processed foods like the links, pepperoni, and grilled tofu all contain high amounts of sodium. My Lose It! program tracks sodium if it knows it.  I didn't put in the sodium from lunch because I didn't know it, but it tracked me at 1991 mg of sodium just on the breakfast and dinner foods! 

YIKES!  Of course, I had too much sodium yesterday.

Hopefully, the water weight will leave today. 

Today I am having all my meals at home plus lifting weights and walking.  It's Shabbat tonight, so that meal is always bigger than usual due to the wine and the challah.  Tonight I have to be sure to weigh out the portion of challah and measure that wine.  Then I have to put the rest AWAY and OUT OF SIGHT so there are no seconds!  Challah is one of my trigger foods because it's so good and so easy to nibble, nibble, nibble until it's gone!  LOL! 

And today I will NOT eat soy and will watch the sodium content.  I feel confident that today will be great and tomorrow I will be down two pounds.  We'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment