Saturday, March 29, 2014

Staying the same

I had an excellent day yesterday.  I ate exactly what I planned with no cheating.  My total calories were 1419, which is slightly high for dieting, but currently my program is allowing 1423, putting it right on target.  The number of calories allowed goes down as the weight goes down.  Once I put in my weight on Monday as 251, it bumped me up to the 1423 calories.   That allows for a two pound per week loss.  I did go to the gym and do my weight routine, but I never did walk.  We ran out of time.

This morning I am still 245, like yesterday.  I was sort of surprised because sodium was still at 2,108 mg, kind of high.  2,000 mg a day is the recommended amount according to some websites.  I ate all my meals at home, but even regular foods have sodium.

Here's what I ate, the calories and the sodium content:
Breakfast:
1/2 cup of Fiber One Cereal   60 calories,  105 mg sodium
Dannon Lite Greek Yogurt     80 calories,  45 mg sodium
1/2 cup blueberries                   42 calories,  0.7 mg sodium

Lunch:
2 slices of Flax bread           160 calories,  280 mg sodium
4 slices of diet Cheese          100 calories,  1,000 mg sodium  Here's the problem!  Low fat means high sodium in most cheeses, and I had forgotten that.  Eating a can of low sodium tuna cuts the sodium by 80% (by 60% for regular tuna), keeps the calories essentially the same, and vastly increases the protein.  TUNA is the answer!
Raw carrots                           23 calories,   43 mg sodium
1 cup green grapes                104 calories,  3 mg sodium

Dinner:
2.5 ounces challah                165 calories,  268 mg sodium
2 ounces sweet wine             94 calories,   5 mg sodium
2.5 cups tossed salad            55 calories,    90 mg sodium
Mark's Chicken Ragout      250 calories,    326 mg sodium

Snacks:
1 shot whiskey                     96 calories,   no sodium
1 medium banana               105 calories,   1 mg sodium
1 large peach                        68 calories,   no sodium
1 sugar free Popsicle            15 calories,    no sodium
I made good choices for snacks in regards to the sodium!

I could have cut the sodium nearly in half if I had eaten a tuna sandwich instead of a cheese one.  I could also cut the sodium drastically by eating real cheese but the calories go up.  Cheese is always problematic. I love it, but it's always too high in calories, sodium, or fat no matter which type I choose.  I hate giving it up entirely, but I really need to think about that before I eat it. 

This also shows again why it's probably better for me to weigh in only once a week.  If I had waited until Monday morning, even a two or three pound weight loss would have looked good.  Right now I'm already down six pounds, but I'm feeling bad because I haven't lost more.  That's a ridiculous thing to feel, but it's my own craziness!

Today all my meals will be at home.  Dinner will include a Morningstar Griller burger, which has 130 calories and 260 mg of sodium.  i will definitely be eating a can of tuna with salad for lunch.  I will take a walk no matter what, and I expect to be down a pound tomorrow morning!  We shall see.

Have a great day and eat healthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment