Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Maybe getting sick?

Sorry I did not write a blog yesterday.  It was a weird day.

I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and my throat was on FIRE.  I could NOT swallow without severe pain. I went to the bathroom and back to bed, but I was miserable.  It was cold in the room, too, because Mark has the thermostat go down to 62 over night.  I tried to stay under the covers and breathe warmer moister air from my own breath, but it didn't help.  I tried to plan which Urgent Clinic I would go to in the morning for a Strep Throat test.

Finally, I got up at 4:30 a.m. and went to the kitchen to make a cup of hot tea. I turned the TV on, found some local news station, and sipped the tea, bundled up in a fluffy robe and blanket.  It was HARD to swallow the tea, but eventually I got a small amount of relief.  I dozed in the chair on and off until Mark came out at 8:30.  Crazy night.

As the day went on, my throat stopped hurting, so I never went to the clinic.  I chalked it all up to the cold dry air in the room overnight.  The only thing I did all day was go to the salon for my mani/pedi. I also got my hair drastically trimmed.  I wanted it really short before the next cruise because it was driving me crazy on the last cruise.  Random chunks of hair always seemed to be sticking out somewhere in every picture.  LOL!  When I got back from the salon, I just sat and watched TV all night, drinking a LOT of hot tea.

Last night Mark promised not to let the thermostat lower to 62 overnight.  He fixed it to stay the same as during the day, 68.  I got through the night, sort of.  I went to bed at 11:30.  I got up at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, and 4:30.  Each time I went to the bathroom and then took a few sips of water.  My throat hurt, but NOTHING like the previous night.  I finally got out of bed at 7:15 and got some coffee.  I am currently at the computer, bundled up in warm jammies I found in a closet last night and a fluffy robe, sipping hot coffee, and watching TV.  My nose is stuffed this morning, too.  Today is supposed to be our coldest day and then it will start warming up again. I realize that central Florida is not like the northeast.  There is no blizzard, but it has been windy and very cold for our area.  Today might not go out of the 50s. I know that sounds wimpy, but we are now Floridians!  LOL!  We like the warmth.

UGH!  Neither Mark nor I can afford to get sick right now.  We each have to perform at the cantor's tribute dinner party Saturday night, and next Friday we are driving to Fort Lauderdale to start a two week cruise on our favorite ship, the Celebrity Constellation. 

Today Mark's cousin Ron from Long Island, Mady's husband, is coming for a two night visit.  He should be here before lunch time.  Mark is making a crock pot dinner, and we will take him up to either the Grille or the Bistro for lunch while we show him around our neighborhood.  Tonight we have a synagogue choir rehearsal. It's the last one before we sing Saturday night for the cantor.  I'm supposed to sing a little solo in the song. I hope I can do it.  I might have to think about who's going to be my stand-in just in case.

Now to happier times!  Here's some pictures from days three and four on the MSC Divina.  These were our ports of Falmouth, Jamaica and Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

Docking in Jamaica

Tour of Rose Hall

The second mistress of Rose Hall, Annie Palmer, supposedly killed her third husband in this room after only six months of marriage.  According to the guide, she killed her first husband after 7 years, the second after 3 years, and then the third after six months.  Finally, at age 29, she was killed by her slave lover because she had killed his own female slave lover.  What a place! Now it's supposed to be haunted by Annie.

Allegedly, she threw one of her female slaves off this balcony and killed her because she was also her slave lover's girlfriend.  Charming woman. Later we read that all of the stories associated with this house were probably just made up and based on a novel.

Next stop, Margaritaville.

Then the Shoppes at Rose Hall, where we bought some delicious coffee.

Hanging out with Jane and Bob at the Shoppes.

Our inside cabin was a bit smaller than some other ships, but more than adequate.


The next day we tendered into Georgetown, Grand Cayman.  Looking back at our ship from the dock.

Seven Mile Beach, which is only five miles long.

Our main event for the day.

Giant sea turtles in the breeding pond.  They are way bigger than this picture shows.

Iguanas are everywhere and considered a nuisance on the island.  This one was enjoying the sun on the deck by the turtles.


I got to hold the baby sea turtle, only 6-8 months old.


Then we went to Hell and lived to tell about it.

Named for the stark limestone formations.

A visit to the Tortuga Cake and Rum factory finished the day.


The Witches of Paris was the big show in the theater that night.  Lots of cancan dancing.

The White Party with a gigantic conga line out on the pool deck finished up the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment