Monday, May 1, 2017

The Scale

Today I have to rant a bit about why I should not get on the scale every day.  UGH.

On the last post I said I was rewarded with my weight down again, to 283.3, Saturday morning.  Very exciting.

Sunday morning it was 286.5.  VERY IRRITATING.  Up three pounds.  Ridiculous.

Saturday I ate lunch at Sea World: a bowl of vegetarian chili, a nice-sized portion of fresh watermelon, and black coffee.  Breakfast and lunch were at home.  My total calories for the day were 1438 with my best guess for how many calories were in lunch (451).  I walked about five miles around Sea World.  For all that I was rewarded with a three pound gain over night.  Double UGH.  Double irritating.

So I stuck to my plan and was perfect yesterday.  I ate 1560 calories.  Now that did include some home made sautéed veggies (zucchini, spinach, kale, mushrooms, onions, and garlic) with a tossed salad with my usual can of low sodium tuna on it.  I could only estimate the sautéed veggies, but the veggies didn't have many calories, only the olive oil I used to cook them in.  I had about a cup and a half of the mixture, not a huge pile of it.  There was no exercise because we stayed home all day except for when we went to the local high school to see their FABULOUS production of Cabaret.  I got up twice during the night to pee.  I really thought I would be back to 283.3 this morning.

BUT NO.  I am 286.6.

And what's even weirder is that not only did I wake up yesterday up those three pounds after a perfect day, but I stayed that weight all day.  Usually, you are your lowest weight first thing in the morning.  If you weigh later in the day, you will be up 2-3 or even more pounds and your heaviest just before bed. Weight is dropped over night.  I weighed two more times yesterday, after lunch and at bed time.  I was exactly the same!  That gave me hope that I was actually going to show that drop this morning since the weight stayed steady all day.  And that hope was dashed this morning.  This may have happened to me before, but I really don't remember it.  To have a really low calorie day with nearly five miles of walking, wake up three pounds heavier and then stay at exactly that weight for more than 24 hours is JUST STRANGE.

And THAT is why a dieter should not get on the scale every day.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's report.  I am just hoping and praying that the three pounds somehow go away today.  I'm still hoping to be able to report a loss for the week on Wednesday's Weigh In blog.

Today we are heading up to the Village Center to attend a workshop on staying safe in the area, headed by someone from the local police department.  In the afternoon I will be playing Mah Jongg in my neighbor's house.  We do plan to go walking in the indoor track between those two activities, and I will be eating all of my meals at home.  Currently, my planned meals come to 1241 calories.  Maybe that weight will go back to 283.3 tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures from Hollywood Studios last Tuesday and Sea World on Saturday.


The new Starbucks on the main street is open.


The old dolphin show, Blue Horizon, has been replaced with this new show, Dolphin Days.

It includes more education and more dolphin action.  We liked it.

We rode up the Sky Tower with Al and Barb.  The tower had been shut own for years, so it was fun to ride again.


Look how blue the water in the orca tank looks down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment