Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fabulous Mexican Food in Beautiful San Diego

We had a great day yesterday, and it all went just as planned. The rental car, a Dodge Avenger, is quite nice making the drive south to San Diego very comfortable. I had the same Fitness Omelet breakfast as yesterday morning at Mimi's before we left and a Subway salad in San Diego after we checked into the Comfort Inn. Dinner was another story. We abandoned the plan to eat at Denny's in favor of a Mexican dinner at Zocalo in Old Town San Diego. Mark found Zocalo listed as a AAA recommended restaurant, plus it turned out to be just a few blocks walk from the Trolley Tour stop.

We ordered vegetarian empanadas as an appetizer. We each ate two. Hmm...Hmm...good! Unfortunately they provided a big basket of fresh tortilla chips with a spicy salsa and a creamy jalapeno dip. I ate the majority of all of that. Sigh. Our main dish was grilled salmon with garlic mashed potatoes and cumin-spiced vegetables. Cumin is one of my favorite spices, so I could NOT pass up this entree! I had a white peach sangria along with that while Mark sipped an expensive tequilla on the rocks. Then the finale was chocolate empanadas with vanilla ice cream. Soooo decadent! I ate one of the three empanadas and half the ice cream. Mark had one empanada, then we actually let the other one go and watched the the rest of the ice cream melt. It breaks my heart to see good food go to waste, but I am trying to learn to let it go.

I bought a new t-shirt at one of the Old Town shops. It said "feel me" on it, so I did. It said it was peach fuzz. It's really very soft and nice, not the usual t-shirt material at all. It says San Diego on it, and I needed a t-shirt for the trip. I did not pack enough t-shirts as it turns out. We did three loads of laundry last night in the hotel, which took forever because even though there were three washers and three dryers, two of the dryers didn't work! We were exhausted last night trying to wait up for everything to get done. We finally gave up and just hung up some of the clothes around the room to dry.

I started off talking about the t-shirt because of the size of it. I bought a 1X shirt, and it fits perfectly. In fact, I'm wearing it right now, and I love it. This is significant for two reasons. First, it means I can't possibly have gained TOO much weight yet because the 1X t-shirt is fitting fine and I'm also wearing my 1X pair of knit pants. The second reason is that I bought the Disneyland hoodie in a 2X. It's HUGE. When I was in the Disneyland store, I didn't even try on the 1X. My mind was in the mode of being big, I guess, because I felt I had been eating so much. I was excited to see a 2X on the rack, tried it on, felt that it fit, and bought it. Later, I realized it's really too big for me! I still have serious issues with body image/perception apparently.

I had the complimentary hotel breakfast this morning: two hard-boiled eggs, a small yogurt, and a half bowl of Raisin Bran with a very small amount of 2% milk. Today we are spending the whole day at the world famous San Diego Zoo. We hope to catch a lunch at the zoo and dinner at Denny's. It's not a long drive from our hotel, and there will be plenty of opportunity to walk off calories. The only glitch in this plan is that although it's sunny outside, it's very windy again and not going out of the 50s. Mark and I are putting on four layers of clothes: t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater, hoodie. Hopefully that will allow us to adjust to day's vagaries in temperature and wind conditions as we walk around the zoo.

I hope you have a great day, too, whoever and wherever you are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment