Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Very sad Tuesday weigh-in

I have surely been enjoying this Hawaiian vacation, but today I have to go back to reality. It's Tuesday, so first thing this morning I went up to the scale in the ship's gym to weigh in. YIKES. It's even worse than I feared. In one week, I gained 10, that's TEN, pounds. I went from 206 to 216.

I did indeed eat whatever I wanted, and I was counting on all the walking to mitigate that. Didn't work! I also drank at least one, and sometimes several, drinks a day. I started drinking the frozen delicious things like daiquiris and pina coladas that I love so much instead of limiting myself to one whiskey on the rocks. Plus this week included the bourbon tasting, the luau, several very nice restaurant meals on shore, and way more desserts than necessary. YIKES.

So today it has to end. We are heading back to San Diego, with a brief four hour stop in Ensenada, Mexico on Saturday night. Mark and I don't plan to even get off the ship for that one since we have three stops in Mexico on the next cruise. Now I need to change my mind-set from "I deserve to have a good time like everyone else around me is having" to "I need to stick to my food plan." I need to remember that I probably did not eat like everyone else around me; I probably ate more. I also need to remember that even if I do eat like everyone else around me, I gain weight faster than them. It's not fair, but it is a fact.

So today I have already written down what I'm going to eat to try to stick to a more reasonable 1200 to 1400 calories. I'm about to go up to the buffet and get two hard-boiled eggs (140) and a yogurt (90). For lunch I plan to make a salad with just a little bit of parmesan sprinkled on it and some form of protein, either some cheese or nuts, or some fish, depending on what's up there today. For dinner in the main dining room, grilled salmon, broccoli, and green beans is always a choice. I just haven't always picked it, or worse, I picked it and surrounded it with two appetizers, bread, two drinks, and two desserts. I need to leave all that out and just take the main dish. At night for late night snacking, I need to go back to the banana and maybe an apple in the middle of the day as a snack instead of the pizza and ice cream I've been having. I also should have plenty of time to walk on deck today. I'll let you know how this goes!

Mark also gained weight, five pounds. That's awesome for him, and he's pretty excited about it. Of course, he hasn't checked his blood sugar to see what's happening there.

No comments:

Post a Comment