Sunday, August 28, 2011

A sad cancellation

My autotrain got cancelled. Boo Hoo! I was looking forward to a relaxing morning tomorrow and then getting on the train around mid-afternoon for a lovely overnight in a sleeper car. NOT! Amtrak has cancelled the train.

Now we get to face a bust-ass three-day drive up to Boston. It's about 1400 miles, so we are going to Florence, SC tomorrow; Laurel, MD Tuesday; and into Boston on Wednesday. It's about 450 to 480 miles each day. Not relaxing, but we have no choice now. I hope the roads are good and all the hotels have power!

Mark and I had a great day up until Amtrak sent the cancellation notice by email. We went to our synagogue in the morning and picked up our two personal Machzorim for the High Holidays. They asked everyone to buy their own copy, so that's exciting. We also bought SOJC t-shirts, ordered a Lulav and Etrog, and made reservations for a membership dinner on Sept. 16. Busy morning in shul.

Then we went to Guest Relations at Downtown Disney and got our new annual passes. We didn't even have to pay a thing! Mark had earned more than enough on his Disney Rewards card from using his Disney Visa so much all year. We even have enough left over for a nice dinner out sometime. Excellent.

After that, it was on to the movie The Help, which was excellent. We didn't pay for that either because we have been saving up points on the AMC Stubs card, so we used some of them and got into the movie for free! I love rewards cards. The movie was fantastic, and I'm sure it will collect quite a lot of Oscar nominations. I hope it wins them, too!

Our next stop was lunch out at Fresh A-Peal/Pollo Campero in Downtown Disney. Their vegetarian chili is just about the best anywhere. They have a wonderful fixings bar of chopped onions, pico de gallo, chipotle salsa, and other things that we add into the chili. I also get the big fruit cup and share it with Mark. It's a delicious lunch, healthy, low fat, and hopefully low calorie.

Right after lunch we got the notice from Amtrak of the cancellation. I must say that my heart sank. I was so looking forward to that trip. I had several magazines ready to take to read. Oh, well...I still went to Best Buys and got a new camera for the wedding. The little button to make it possible to look at your pictures and erase them broke on my old one. I have upgraded to a Canon SX230, on the recommendation of my future son-in-law. He is such a great photographer that I figured he would give me good advice. That's how I got the Canon 1200 that I have been using until now. The new one has a LOT more pixels and a much better zoom feature. I think I'll be able to take some great shots at the wedding. I'll post some on the blog for sure!

I have now loaded all the wedding things into the car. They took up the whole back seat! On top of the two big boxes of vases for the centerpieces we laid out Mark's suit, my dress, and on top of all is Evey's wedding gown. Then we covered everything up under a Mickey sheet. I hope it is all safe and wrinkle free when it comes into the Hilton on Friday!

Once the dryer is done, Mark and I will start packing our own suitcases. We want to get a prompt start tomorrow. I'm hoping to be on the road by 8 a.m. I have to stop for gas, but that's it. We should be able to be in Florence between 6 and 7 p.m. tomorrow night.

I have been eating well, and each day I've been rewarded by another little loss. This morning I was down another half pound to 247.7. I know I can fit into the dress at this weight. I do plan to eat carefully on the trip (Subway and Denny's), so I might be down a little bit more by the time we get to Boston. There will be a rehearsal dinner Saturday night that I'd like to enjoy!

I am taking my computer on the trip, but I will not write a blog tomorrow morning. NO TIME! I might write one tomorrow night if I have the energy, but don't be surprised if there isn't one for a few days. For those of you on Facebook, I'm sure I'll make a few quick posts on there during the travel days. Otherwise, there might not be a blog until I'm settled in Boston. With so much fun and festivities, I don't know how much energy or time I'll have for writing. I know some of you read every day, and I really LOVE that, so I hate to disappoint you. Still you know that sooner or later there will be LOTS of wedding news and pictures on here. Just be patient, please!

2 comments:

  1. Bummer about the autotrain. Have a great trip and drive safely. Lot of ground to cover, but worth every minute. Storm passed, still have power. Greenbelt was hit hard with power outages. Don't know whether they've gotten power back yet. Played mahj with Annie and Robin at Robin's powerless house. It was fun. Only part that wasn't fun was crossing Kenilworth Ave. with no traffic lights to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the train cancellation. At least the wedding is next weekend, not this weekend when it would have been really hard for people to get to it. Pace yourself, keep your eye on the goal, and hopefully all will be well.
    Since I don't know when you will read this, I will send my hugs to Evey now.
    Lots of love to all, Nadine

    ReplyDelete