Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stormy Day






Hurricane Irene has hit NC at this point and is moving up the east coast, hitting every major city along the way. I pray that all my family and friends along the way stay safe and sound and that their property survives intact. Florida was spared the hurricane, but the forecast today didn't turn out right. This morning they said we might hit 97 degrees, tying the record for heat on this date, and that the winds from the hurricane would bring dry air, no chance of rain. As I'm typing this, the skies are dark; the rain is pouring; the thunder and lightening are raging. Hm...something wrong here. Even so, the winds are only in the 20s, not hurricane strength for sure.

The morning was beautiful. We had no trouble going to shul, and our new rabbi was leading services. He started a few weeks ago while we were traveling. It was a very nice service. Mark and I both enjoy the new rabbi and his wife. She is also a rabbi! She is pregnant with their second child and scheduled to deliver by C-section on September 27. Their two year old daughter is delightful!

Mark read haftarah today for the first time at this new shul. Everyone was impressed with how well he did and how beautifully he sounded. I knew they would be! In our old shul, Mark used to give a little talk about the portion and tie it into the Torah portion. No one at this shul ever did that, so Mark didn't plan to do it either. Just as well! The rabbi did it! That was nice.

My makeover went very well yesterday. It took three hours, but I'm pleased with the results. It costs a fortune, too, so I really cannot do this all the time! It was worth it for the wedding, though.

I have tried to be strict with my food again. I am down one more pound today, 248.3, so I'm on the right track. I am sure I can be 245 by the wedding and anything lower than that might make the dress baggy, so I'll be happy with that. I know it fits at 246 easily, so I'm OK as long as I don't get into a binge between now and then. There's plenty of opportunity for overeating on the train and in Boston before the wedding, so I really do have to watch myself up until the wedding is over.

We have also cancelled our plans to add a trip to Bangor, Maine after the wedding. Mark got our Visa bill yesterday, which included the NC trip, a lot of the California trip, a final payment on October's cruise, and the usual food and gas. He was horrified by the total!! So...no reason to extend this next trip. The main reason we were going to Bangor was to eat at a Howard Johnson's restaurant. There are only three in existence now, and Mark and I both have fond memories from our childhood of stopping at a Howard Johnson's on summer road trips. Bangor is four hours from Boston, so we thought it might be fun. Not so fun if you can't pay the bill! Maybe some other time.

Meanwhile, I'm getting very excited about the wedding. I have most of the things for the wedding all stacked together waiting to be loaded into the car. My MOB dress, Mark's suit, and Evey's beautiful wedding gown are all hanging together in the den. I hope everything fits ok into the car, and the dresses don't wrinkle. It's going to be a wonderful wedding! I know I'll probably cry at some point during it. Sigh...that's what mothers do.

PS Here are a few pictures from Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. The next set of pictures will be from Boston!





3 comments:

  1. Pictures are great and nice catching up while I'm looking out my window at rain and lots of trees swaying in the breeze. Don't worry about losing too much weight--just focus on eating carefully. If you lose a little bit more, that will give you the ability to enjoy the days surrounding the wedding more. And I know you can hang tight and lose the weight. You have a goal and determination--it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the storm in Silver Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad so far. Light traffic on the road--from what I hear (I'm not driving). Wind seems to be picking up--but nothing scary yet. Got a phone call from PEPCO yesterday warning that there's a storm coming and there may be outages. I guess they're covering their behinds. I think the storm is supposed to intensify overnight so we probably won't know that we've lost power until the morning. I'm hoping that it won't be that bad. We are prepared, though. Lots of batteries and flashlights. Got lots of books to read. This is just something for you to focus on so you don't fixate too much on the wedding! Sounds like you are totally prepared for the trip to Boston. Get as much rest as you can. Rest also helps with weight loss (so I've heard). Will keep you posted on the weather here.

    ReplyDelete