Saturday, April 21, 2012

Opening NIght

The Solivita Starliter's show, "Live, Love, Laugh," opens tonight!  Very exciting.

Last night's dress rehearsal had nearly 50 people watching.  A group of 35 high school students from nearby Liberty High School were bussed over!  I think they are part of the chorus there.  They were a fantastic audience, very responsive.  In addition there were many couples attending as part of Discovery Days.  That's the three day-two night program that Mark and I did in June of 2010.  You stay in a house here and explore the community and its attractions while looking at houses and seeing if it's the place you want to be.  Mark and I found this house at that time. I hope those folks enjoyed themselves and see what a wonderful place Solivita is.

The show has had its glitches.  Two of the main characters have had problems.  Three weeks ago, one of the star male singers (two huge solos) was gone for a week of rehearsal because he had tickets to a big golf tournament in Georgia.  Then when he got home, he fell on his tennis racket and cracked two ribs.  That caused him to miss last week's rehearsals, so he was gone two weeks.  I really don't see how he's doing it, but he made it this Monday and Tuesday for rehearsal, albeit in pain.  Unbelievable trooper!

Then at Monday's rehearsal the "bride" was missing from "The Wedding Singer."  (BTW, that's also where the man with the ribs has his solo and one of my numbers.)  No one knew why.  Then she didn't come Tuesday either.  That was our last regular rehearsal, so the powers-that-be scrambled.  They learned she started suffering serious vertigo and ended up in the hospital.  She is so sick she cannot perform.  The choreographer is the only one who knows everyone's steps, so they got the big wedding dress and quickly re-sewed it to fit the choreographer. She filled in at last night's dress rehearsal like nothing had ever been wrong!  Amazing!  Of course, everyone feels badly for the lady who practiced since last October for this show.  How sad for her to miss everything and be so ill.  We are all praying for her speedy and complete recovery.

My little bits in the show, including the "Do You Love Me?" duet, are going well.  I hope it continues for the three shows with no issues!  LOL!! 

I have loved singing with this group.  It's really so much fun.  It's a lot of work, two nights a week since October, but it is therapeutic, mentally and physically.  I'm pretty sure everyone in the group feels the same way.  We have 55 singers and 45 support people (sound, lights, props, costumes, make-up, stage crew).  That's over 100 senior citizens having fun!

One other bit of good news: no migraine yesterday!  YAY!  I just want that to stretch out to many months of no migraines.  Sadly, Evey reminded me that she started getting them in 2008.  She's had several truly debilitating ones, beginning when she was in college in Boston.  They are few and far between, but they are incapacitating when they hit her.  I feel so sad for her.  She visited her doctor about them and has some sample meds to try next time.  Like me, she's not too interested in a lot of meds that make you drowsy and bring their own set of side effects as long as Advil and a dark room can help. Genetics does play a part, so I guess she got them from me.  I really don't remember my mother ever having one, but maybe she just didn't tell me.  She tended to keep her health issues to herself most of the time.  Well, I hope Evey doesn't have one for a very long time, and I hope the same for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment