Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Where to start?

When I wait almost a week to write another blog, I don't know where to start or what to include. I'm going to start with today because it's been bothersome. Maybe tomorrow I'll cover the days I missed.

This morning at 8:30 a.m. I was scheduled for a follow-up pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound to have a second look at the mass on the left ovary. I did not expect it to be any problems. The biggest thing is that they want you to drink a lot of water and have a full bladder for the pelvic US. I left at 7:40, drinking plenty of water in the car on the way. I arrived at 8:24, already desperately wanting to pee, but I waited a half hour for them to sign me in. At 9:10 I had not been called in yet, but I was going to wet the floor soon, so I went to the bathroom. That was a good call because they didn't call me back until nearly 10 a.m. By then, my bladder had filled up again anyway! LOL!

The nice lady technician performed the test, but she could not find the right ovary. She looked and looked a long time, though, and finally gave up. I did have an ovarian cyst on that side when I was 14. It was misdiagnosed as appendicitis, and they saw the cyst rupture in the operating room. I was never told whether or not they removed the ovary or just the cyst and appendix. I've also had a transvaginal US twice before, once at age 48 and then just a few months ago in January. Neither of those techs mentioned not being able to find the right ovary! Weird. But she was trying very hard to find it, so I was quite sore when I left.

In the meantime, today's tech became quite chatty. She did indeed see the mass on the left ovary. She asked if I remembered how big it had been back on January 24 when it was first picked up. I didn't, so she didn't bother to tell me the size this time. I have an appointment next Thursday with the OB/ONC to go over these results.

Meanwhile, I got home near 11 a.m., exhausted, tired, sore, and worried. It is now 3:15 p.m. and I have literally done nothing but sit on the lanai sleeping, reading, or eating. I will admit I'm depressed.

The doctor had said that it was probably a benign cyst that would go away on its own. That was my hope today, that it was gone. Maybe it's at least smaller, on its way out. On the other hand, I did a lot of internet reading on ovarian cysts in postmenopausal women. They are not as rare as they used to think they were, in fact, more common than rare. Still, they are more worrisome in older women because they are more likely turn into cancer. If it has shrunk, then I expect to have another follow up US in three months to see how much smaller it gets. If it has stayed the same, I expect the same follow up. If it has expanded, then I expect the doctor will want to remove it. Some articles said an MRI is helpful as well before a surgery. I'll find out next Thursday afternoon exactly what is happening. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Techs are not supposed to say anything!! Out of your control. Have faith.Stay off the internet. Concentrate on what you can control. Walk, swim, make healthy choices. Wish I were there to hang with at the pool and play mahjongg!
    It will be OK. Focus on all the POSITIVE things going on in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    You are in my prayers. Waiting is very hard. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you. I hope that you and your husband can have some fun times together this weekend. If the weather is right to take a long walk maybe that will bring you some encouragement. I am just getting ready to go to chemotherapy. I will check my computer when I get home to see if you wrote a blog today. Do something fun for yourself today if you can.

    ReplyDelete