Friday, June 8, 2012

Much needed rain

Thursday was a very rainy day.  It was so rainy that I did not go out and do my fasting cardio walk. I felt a little guilty, but not that much.  We went to the gym and did our weight routines and then drove to Plant City for the monthly NARFE meeting.  The weather kept the traffic moving very slowly, so we were a little late.

These meetings take place at an Outback Steakhouse.  We always eat the same thing at this meeting: grilled tilapia, seasonal vegetables, and house salad (no dressing for me).  This doesn't sound like it should be that many calories, but according to the websites where I researched the calories, it seemed surprisingly high.  There are croutons in the salad and some cheese, similar to Denny's.  At Denny's the calories for the house salad dry is 120, but at Outback it was listed as 213. I'm not sure I saw that much difference between the two salads, but I wrote down the higher number anyway. The seasonal vegetables were listed as 143.  I guess there is oil in the cooking because a cup of broccoli and squash wouldn't be that high normally.  The tilapia was hard to judge since I couldn't find one listed for Outback that didn't include crab.  The portion was HUGE, at least 8 ounces, maybe 10.  Yummm...it was also very, very good!  Of course, it seemed like it was cooked in butter.  Tilapia, steamed or cooked dry, is listed as 27 calories per ounce, so even a 10 ounce portion could be as little as 270; however, this tilapia clearly was cooked in butter or oil, so I put 325 for the calories.  This meant a tad over 680 for lunch, which is HUGE for me right now.

Once I eat that much for lunch, I have to cut back dinner, so Mark was disappointed that I canceled our plans to go to Denny's for dinner.  Right now I'm staying at 1200 calories per day.  I ate 180 for breakfast and 680 for lunch.  That doesn't leave another 700 for a Denny's dinner. Instead, he was really nice about letting me have a Subway double turkey salad, no dressing, no chips, for just 190 calories.  At bedtime I had a banana and two sugar free Popsicles, bringing the day in at 1214.  Pretty nice.  My weight lifting burned about 80 calories, so my Lose It! program shows that I was 70 calories under for the day. 

Still, for some reason I was up two and a half pounds Thursday morning.  Wednesday I happily reported that I was 247, so I was disturbed to see 249.5 the next morning.  I had a bowl of vegetarian chili in a restaurant for lunch on Wednesday, so I guess there was too much sodium in it.  My calories for that day were only 1120, and I did the walk, the weights, and a lot of walking around Disney. This morning I was 248.3, so a bit down.  I did have that lunch at Outback, so I'm guessing it's a sodium problem again. 

Today I went out and did a twenty minute mile.  YAY!   I had a grilled chicken salad in a restaurant for lunch, so even though that's only 225 calories, it's probably going to be another sodium morning tomorrow. 

Tonight's dinner includes wine (2 ounces at 94 calories) and challah (2 ounces at 132 calories) because it's Shabbat.  We are having turkey tenderloins that Mark prepared last week for 219 calories.  I'm grilling ears of corn, no butter, for 116 calories, and two cups of steamed broccoli for 60 calories.  That's 622 for dinner.  I will eat my banana for a snack later and total the day up at 1142 plus the 115 calories in the Vanilla Vodka in Diet Coke for Happy Hour, a final total of  1257.  Because I walked, I got credit for 90 calories, so the program thinks I'm actually under by 38 calories!  This is another excellent day.

Soon the excellent days will come to an end.  Tomorrow should still be a very reasonable day of eating and exercise.  I plan to go to shul in the morning, have all my usual low-cal foods at home, do my fasting cardio, go to the weight machines, and go swimming if the weather cooperates. 

On Sunday, things start getting tougher. We are eating lunch and dinner at the Hollywood Studios.  It's the last day of the four Star Wars weekends, and we are going to be in the park all day.  I'm going to do my best not to eat something frivolous, but just eating out always increases the calories over eating at home.  Currently, we plan to eat only at the counter service restaurants, a veggie wrap for one meal and a veggie burger for the other meal.  If I don't have fries with either of those, I might be ok since there will certainly be a lot of walking around the park.  I'll let you know!

Mark showed me a picture of myself from 2007.  I weighed about 315 in that picture. YIKES!  What was I thinking?  I don't want to ever look like that again.


No comments:

Post a Comment