Friday, May 10, 2013

Lowell's Big Day

Today is the READING!  This is one of the main events that brought us north for six weeks, and it's the one Lowell wanted us to attend the most, even more than the actual graduation on May 21.

Tonight between 6 and 9 p.m. at the University of Baltimore, the entire class receiving MFAs in Creative Writing and Publishing Arts from UB are reading something aloud from their newly published works.  Each graduate is given four minutes to read, so some students will read excerpts and some will read entire pieces.  Lowell is reading the last of the nine short stories in his book. The story, "Bathwater" is really cute.  It's only three pages long, but it has a LOT going on in those three pages.  Originally I had wanted to wait and hear it from him tonight for the first time, but I couldn't wait.  I've now read all nine stories twice through.  They were even better the second time!

I bought a new memory card for my camera just for tonight. I will be recording his entire reading and taking lots of other pictures, too.  I'm going to the bank this afternoon to take out a wad of cash to buy lots of books!  It's just going to be wonderful.

He will have six people in the audience tonight: me, Mark, Cindy, Emily, and Emily's parents Pat and Phil.  We have four others who might come: Rudy, Georganne, Saul, and Phyllis.  If they can't make it after all, it will still be fine.   The place will probably be packed.

Meanwhile we had a great time Wednesday night at Farlee and Glen's house.  Farlee's a great cook, and we enjoyed hamburgers and corn on the cob grilled outdoors.  Even the weather cooperated that night.  Mark and I provided some pareve desserts from Seven Mile Market, as well.  I've included two pictures from that night.

Yesterday was shopping day.  We also had lunch at the new kosher barbecue restaurant in Pikesville called Dougie's Barbecue.  We got a lunch special: hot wings, long dog, and Cajun fries with a soda.  We also ordered a side of chili.  It was way too much food, so we brought some wings and fries home.  It's KOSHER!  We could have brought it home in Florida, but unfortunately, there's nothing like this down there.  The food portions were huge and the taste was scrumptious. Mark and I have decided to go back for a dinner some night before we head home.

One more time, I just have to say GO LOWELL!!  We are so proud of you.  Dear Readers, you WILL be seeing pictures from the reading on my next blog!

Their kitty, Lucy, is very cuddly and has the loudest purr of any cat in the world.

Farlee and I are enjoying reading a children's book, The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment