Sunday, May 19, 2013

Tropical Weather

It was cold, raw, and drizzly yesterday with some wind thrown in for good measure.  Not a particularly pleasant day.  The good thing about it was that I got to go to shul, talk with our friends there over kiddush, and then play Mah Jongg at Robin's house.  Debbie, Robin, and I played for a few hours, and then Wendy joined us for the last hour.  Everybody won!  Debbie won 4 games; I won 3; Robin won 2; and Wendy won 1.  Wendy won the last game of the day on a tough closed hand.  Good job!  One of my three wins was on a closed hand, too.  Everybody had a great time, and for some reason we all thought everything we did was hysterical.  I haven't laughed so much in a LONG time at anything, and especially  not at Mah Jongg!  Hey, Robin, if you're reading this, "ONE DOT!"  LOL!!!  I know you're laughing. I can hear you!

Today is gray and drizzly, too, but the temperature today is supposed to hit 79 and then climb into the mid and upper 80s through Friday.  The phone app (LOL!  Always my BEST authority on weather) has the thunderstorm icon on for every day from today through Friday.  That's how it looks almost all summer long in Florida, high temps with a thunderstorm icon.  Finally, some Florida weather is showing up in Baltimore!

Emily and Lowell went to the Eastern Shore to look at another wedding venue possibility but decided against it.  I'm sure they'll pick something pretty soon to lock in a date.

Evey and Eric are house-hunting, to rent.  Their apartment complex is forcing them to leave by July 26 in order to upgrade it.  They were offered a temporary place in the complex for a month during renovation and the right to move back to the same apartment at a $400 increase in rent, but they have declined that offer.  I agree with them.  It's a lovely one bedroom, one bath apartment, and they have loved it, but it's NOT worth $2300 a month plus utilities.  And if they have to pack up and move out , they only want to move once.

So they have decided to try to rent a house instead of an apartment.  A single family, or a townhouse, or a duplex would all be fine as long as the location is a reasonable commute for both of them, the neighborhood is safe, and there is a washer/dryer in it.  They looked at two places last weekend which they did not like at all.  Yesterday they looked at a single family house that was PERFECT for them, and perfect for the other FORTY couples who showed up to fill out applications.  They literally  had to line up and wait a turn to explain to the owners why they would be the best tenants.  Ridiculous.  Today they are going out to look at a duplex.  It's a feeding frenzy for housing in that area (south bay SF, Silicon Valley) because there are more people than houses.  Insane.  I just wish them all the best in this hunt.  They have a few more months.  

Today Mark and I are meeting Emily and Lowell at the AMC Theaters to see the new Star Trek movie.  It's getting great reviews and we are all ST fans.  Should be fun. 

I have only today and the next two days left to see Emily and Lowell on this trip.  Tomorrow is dinner at the Melting Pot with the Stackhouses to celebrate Lowell's graduation, and then Tuesday afternoon is the actual graduation.  Bill Cosby is the speaker!  After that, I have nothing on the calendar with them.  Boo Hoo!  I might try to coerce them into one more get-together, but on the other hand, they are coming to Florida for the last week in June.  I will see them again in a month.  I have really, REALLY enjoyed spending all this time with them. 


1 comment:

  1. Hm...there should have been pictures from Mahj. I took the camera in the car and forgot about it. This morning I thought to myself, where's the camera? Oops, no pics. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete