Thursday, October 7, 2010

another run to the hospital

I felt queasy when I went to bed and queasy when I woke up. I took the Emend and Decodran for anti-nausea, but they don't seem to help. Or maybe they help a lot. Maybe things could be worse. I felt very tired and very queasy all morning.

Despite that I went out and took a nice walk around my sister's block, about 13 minute slow walk, maybe 1/3 of a mile. I actually sang a song, "Memory" from Cats, one of my favorites. I didn't sing loud or well, but singing at all is something I haven't done in months. It made me feel more like me when I sang.

I figured out a way to keep track of my liquid intake. I have to have 2-3 quarts of liquid every day to keep flushing the chemicals out of my body. I took out 12 mah jongg tiles from the set Denise brought me from China. I put them on the window sill next to a clear jar I found in Cindy's cabinet. Every time I drink a glass of something, I drop a tile into the jar until I have had enough liquid. At this point I have had 6 glasses of liquid. Not bad, but a few more to go for the day.

We went to the hospital for my Neulasta shot. This is supposed to keep my blood count up by stimulating the bone marrow to make more blood. The nurse said about half the patients don't feel anything and half get flu like achy symptoms and bone pain. I am praying that I'm in the half that doesn't feel anything. Is that too much to ask?

While I was there, they took my blood pressure and I was thrilled to see that it was much more normal, 138 over 65. Yeah. That's good. I also mentioned that I was feeling constantly queasy so they immediately called the doctor and showed up with prescriptions for two more meds to add to the list. One is Zofran (Ondansetron HCL) 8 mg, 1 every 8 hours. I took one at 3:45 p.m. as soon as I got it. I think it's actually helping. It's about 45 minutes later, and I think I feel less queasy.

The other drug seemed scary so I'm not going to take it until I hear from my personal pharmacist, Barbara, to give me an "OK" on all this stuff. It seems like I have a lot of drugs going in here, and no one talks about whether they are all going to mix happily together. The other one is called Reglan (Metoclopramide) 1o mg, 1 every 6 hours. It came with a label that says read the FDA Black Box Warning label. Ha ha. That sounds ominous. It also said don't stop or discontinue until directed by doctor. So I'm thinking about not starting it! Barb, what do you think?

It's Thursday, and Lowell is coming over. It's becoming our weekly tradition that he joins us for dinner and some TV episodes of How I Met Your Mother. I rather like this tradition.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you got over your neulasta shot. I have never had one before so I have no personal experience with it. I hope that you are one of the ones that doesn't have any trouble with the shot. I am glad that they gave you some more meds for nausea. Zofran is a good drug for nausea. Reglan is also a good drug for nausea although if you have never taken it the black box warning would be pretty scary. We gave it frequently to people in the hospital both by mouth and IV. The main time where you run into problems with it in my experience as a nurse is if it is given continuously on a long term basis. I am glad that you are checking with your pharmacist on it. That is the best way to stay safe I think. She could probably give you some advice on how best to combine all of your nausea meds for the best effect. If all of these nausea meds don't start making you more comfortable be sure to call your dr back as there are other meds and combinations of meds that they can try for nausea.

    One good thing about Reglan if your pharmacist recommends that you try it is that it can tend to cause some diarrhea.

    It sounds like you are doing everything very right. A 13 minute walk for the first day after your first chemotherapy is so excellent.

    Have fun with your supper and TV watching tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky!

    Just got caught up on a couple days of blogs. I find you quite amazing - writing all these details when you are feeling tired and queasy - even with naps. I hope you don't get the side effects from the shot - you have enough to contend with. I am glad you were able to sing "Memory" - I know how much you love that song - it brought back memories of that wonderful time I got to sing it with you. Singing is my favorite therapy. I would prescribe as much singing as possible - just don't overdo it.

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete