Saturday, October 30, 2010

A guest blog

This is Mark, guest blogging for Becky. As many of you know, I have been away on a mission from Becky to bring back winter clothes and Christmas presents from home. Thursday night on the autotrain back from Florida I received texts on my cell phone from Becky saying that her temperature was rising over the 100.4 limit her oncologist had set. Anything beyond that required a call to the doctor.

With the call made, Becky was sent to the emergency room, driven by her sister, Cindy, who was a saint that evening, sticking with Becky through the wee hours of the morning, and holding her hand through painful procedures. If memory serves me, Becky's temperature went over 101 before they admitted her, diagnosed an infection, and began treatment with antibiotics.

I got into town Friday morning, unloaded and returned the rental car, and was at the hospital, as was Cindy, by Friday afternoon. Becky is being kept there all weekend. The fever is down. Her blood pressure is normal, but the antibiotics continue as the infection is not yet gone. Assuming the antibiotics do the job, we expect a Monday release. Otherwise they may have to get more aggressive.

Becky feels well and is in excellent spirits. Her oncologist will not yet give the ok, but if the antibiotics beat this infection by Monday, she may go on with Chemo session 3 on Wednesday as scheduled.

8 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Hope Becky is better soon.
    I missed seeing her in shul today.
    Thanks Mark for updating us.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    I am praying for you to get better soon. Thanks to Mark for writing the blog. Becky just keep remembering that cruise coming when chemo is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Becky can get this message I wanted to let her know that if she wants I will share with the online support group that she is in the hospital so that she can be in everyone's thoughts/prayers there. Otherwise if I don't hear to share with them I will just let Becky tell them when she is back at home and feeling ready to get back on the computer. If you have the chance tell her I am still thinking of her and can't wait til she feels up to being back to writing her blog. Tell her to rest up and keep on feeling better.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky says it is fine to post her condition on the support network.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mark, for letting us know. Becky is in
    my prayers daily and I hope she is able to lick
    this infection very soon. Evelyn A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mark and Rhonda for letting us Cancer Care girls know about Becky.

    Becky, sending you much love and hugs to get you well soon. I pray the antibiotic does it's work and you are able to get out of the hospital and feeling well again. I know how you want to get on with the chemo and your treatment plan so that is what I am hoping and praying for.

    Love, Juanita from Cancer Care

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,
    Thanks for this update.

    Please give Becky my love and best wishes. I'm keeping her in my prayers. Make sure you take care of yourself, too.

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, our love and wishes that you get better soon! Mark, I know you're looking after her... keep it up!

    from afar

    Greg and Joan

    ReplyDelete