Monday, October 11, 2010

Turning the corner


Yesterday I definitely turned a corner in the chemo process. It was the first day that I didn't take any anti-nausea drugs. I didn't take any today either. YAY!! I also walked 24 minutes around the neighborhood and felt pretty good doing it. Whoee!! Definitely turning the corner.

This morning my sister Cindy handed me a chunk of the Baltimore Sun paper from over a week ago, dedicated to breast cancer articles. I found one article particularly interesting. It was about the power of positive thinking. Guess what? There is no proof that keeping positive thoughts or trying to feel upbeat helps. There is some evidence that it helps for heart conditions and HIV, but that's all. There is no particular evidence or studies that show it helps in breast cancer recovery or other cancers. In fact, the article went so far as to say that asking women to keep a cheery, upbeat outlook is just another burden placed on them during an already difficult time. Asking them to feel good when they don't and making them feel that somehow those feelings will be responsible for their cure or demise is just not fair. Yeah, I agree. People feel how they feel at any given time. It's hard to tell people not to feel something.

Today I feel good. I'm feeling more positive than I have for awhile. I'm not trying to feel that way on purpose; it's just happening. I think that's good, but I sure don't want to beat myself up if next week I feel bad or sad or depressed. It just is. It just will be. I know that.

Meanwhile I had a great time last night with Kip, Denise, and Logan. Mark made a spectacular vegetarian chili because October is National Chili Month. Denise brought salad fixings and baked some corn bread. Oh, I do really love hot corn bread. We had a nice visit and a great meal. Denise also had made me a pink hat for when my hair falls out. It's so cute, soft, and warm. I'm almost looking forward to the hair falling out so I can wear the hat!! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Becky,

    Thanks so much for sharing the hat. It is adorable and looks very good on you. I still need to get a winter knit one for when and if I would venture out.

    Thank you too for sharing so much of your life with us. I went and took a look at the pictures of your weight loss journey. Becky, I am soooo impressed! You are amazing! You have the strength within you to beat this breast cancer. I have to again tell you how sorry I am that you are going through this. It's not fair (to you, to me, to any woman) and hang the always being positive. I think you are wise to see the necessity in feeling whatever you need to whenever you need to. That article made a lot of sense to me.

    Like I said in another post here on your blog somewhere (I think the one before this one) that you will be living in that beautiful home in FL. before you know it and life will be good again and abundant in years.

    Love, faith, hope,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who says you have to wait for your hair to fall out to wear your hat? Haven't you learned anything from Diane Tuckman????? Never beat yourself up if you are feeling bad and give in to it--counter productive. There is no falseness about you--why start now? Bottling up emotions leads to unhappy people. Glad you had a great day. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love the hat, but I also love the new hair style.You keep enjoying those goods times and know that it is o.k. to have down times....You look beautiful with your long hair, beautiful with your short hair, and beautiful in your new hat, so I know you will be beautiful without hair....Ilove you....As Always....STAY STRONG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carman. Glad you figured out how to leave a comment. You are not the only one to find it a problem at first, but once you've done it, you'll be able to keep going! I'll look forward to your future comments. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Love you, too, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hat is tres chic. Glad you are feeling better today.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who says you have to wait to wear the hat? Go for it girl! You may just get to love hats and wear them for the rest of your life!!! So glad you are having a good day. Enjoy this great weather!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete